Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blisle
Paper Tape
Views: 997
Message 1 of 2

Can't get to login screen on my T440p

When I power on my T440p it gives me the black screen with THINKPAD in large letters, then goes straight to some Windows Start-Up Repair screen. After a while I get an error saying "Windows cannot repair this computer automatically" and I select the "View advanced options for system recovery and repair". I select "System recovery options" however this is an old computer from my work that still has Windows 7 Enterprise and I do not know the Admin password (I have tried all the typical default passwords to no avail).

I was able to reach a Lenovo Diagnostics page and ran a Storage Test(?), see attached screenshot with failures and result code.

SEAGATE ST500LM021-1KJ152

Smart short self-test: FAILED

Drive self-test: FAILED

Targeted read test: FAILED

Resulit code: UHD016016-UM7WWJ

Can someone please help me? Does this mean that I need a new hard drive? Do I have ANY options for getting into this computer in its current state? I am at a loss for what to do next.

Guru
Views: 966
Message 2 of 2

Re: Can't get to login screen on my T440p

Yes, this disk needs to be replaced. You might try to use DBAN and sanitize whole space. If bad sectors are the cause of test fail, this proces will force HDD to relocate bad sectors, so disk might be back in operable state. As the result, you will lost all data from this disk and HDD performance will drop significantly (probably). 

In order to get your data back, you can remove HDD from your laptop (T440p is very serviceable) and connect it to other device using e.g. USB - SATA3 adapter or simply installing it, if you have a PC. After it, partitions should be mounted normally and you should have access to your data.

You can also buy a new disk and an ultrabay adapter and install OS on new disk. Then install ultrabay adapter with damaged HDD instead of DVD burner in to your laptop and after boot, copy data to new disk.

------

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors