Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
westonjm
Paper Tape
Views: 5,492
Message 1 of 10

Cannot enable Windows 10 Pro Hyper-V on T410

I upgraded my Lenovo T410 to Windows 10 Pro yesterday and now want to turn on the Hyper-V feature. However, the Hyper-V Hypervisor checkbox in the Windows Features remains greyed out. When I try to enable it, Windows says, "Hyper-V cannot be installed: Virtualization support is disabled in the firmware.

I assume this is refering to the BIOS settings. However, in the BIOS (in the Config:CPU section)  I have enabled the only two settings related to virtualization:

• Intel Virtualization Technology: Enabled
  • Intel VT-d Feature: Enabled

I ran sysinternals coreinfo which reports:

HYPERVISOR -  Hypervisor is present

VMX                 *  Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization

EPT                  *  Supports Intel Extended Page Tables (SLAT)

I am interpreting this to mean that everything is good from the BIOS/chip perspective and that the Hypervisor is simply not installed.

The T410 is equipped with the following:

• Latest BIOS (v1.45) for the T410.
  • Intel iCore 5 M540 cpu
  • 4GB RAM

Is anyone else having trouble getting Hyper-V to install on Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise?

Is there any command line tool that I can use to tell Windows so that it realizes that the chipset supports virtualization?

thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,478
Message 2 of 10

Re: Cannot enable Windows 10 Pro Hyper-V on T410

Hello and welcome,

Out of my depth here but have you done a full power-off power-on reboot since enabling VT?

On older BIOSen particularly the VT setting wasn't seen by OS and apps until a full power cycle happened.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

westonjm
Paper Tape
Views: 5,464
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the quick response. I tried powering off and removing the battery for a few minutes and then rebooting. Windows 10 still thinks that "Virtualization support is disabled in the firmware"

I downloaded the Intel Processor Identification Utility and it says that all of the virtualization features are enabled on this iCore 5 M540 processor. For some reason, Windows 10 still thinks that the necessary virtualization features are disabled.

I wonder if Windows 10 only captures the virtualization settings at installation time and never refreshes them, regardless of what happens in the BIOS.

Any other ideas?

thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,459
Message 4 of 10

Sorry that wasn't it Smiley Sad  On a BIOS that requries it (pre-UEFI mostly) all that's necessary is a full shut down then a cold start.

The other thing that I'm aware of  that can hide VT from the OS and apps is having Hyper-V enabled - but that's what you're trying to do so that's not it.

Apologies.  Hopefully another member will chime in with other suggestions.

Regards,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

westonjm
Paper Tape
Views: 5,422
Message 5 of 10

I also have a Lenovo T410s that I tested this on. Same problem. Windows 10 will not let me enable Hyper-V on either ther T410 or the T410s.  The BIOS settings are the same: There are only two settings in the BIOS relating to virtualization and I have them both enabled: 1. Enable Virtualization and 2. Enable VT-d for IO virtualization.

I ran the intel ProcID tool and it indicates that all the virtualization features (including VT-x with Extended Page Tables or SLAT) are enabled.

However, when I run SYSTEMINFO.EXE within the Windows 10 cmd window, it says that all of the virtualization features are enabled except for one:

"Virtualization enabled in firmware: NO"

So, I'm left wondering, why does Windos 10 think that the virtualization feature of my iCore 5 processor has not been enabled?

cterek
WWAN
Views: 3,982
Message 6 of 10

Bump!!

Did anyone get a solution here? I am having the same issue on a T460s, both settings enabled in the BIOS, reboot but Win10 is telling me "Virtualization Enabled In Firmware: No" when I run systeminfo.exe.  Intel utility is giving me yes across the board...

Would appreciate a solution here!

intel.jpg

SEB9
What's DOS?
Views: 2,368
Message 7 of 10

I have the same issue on T520... I don't know what to do too :-/

westonjm
Paper Tape
Views: 2,166
Message 8 of 10

I finally got Hyper-V to work on my T410.  I think it required an update to Windows 10, because nothing else has changed on my machine. AFter the most recent Windows update, I went back in to the BIOS and turned OFF all Virtualization features. Rebooted. Went back into BIOS and turned ON all the Virtualization features. After that Win10 would let me enable the Hyper-V service! 

VadimS
What's DOS?
Views: 458
Message 9 of 10

In my case, it was the hypervisorlaunchtype property. After I've set it to Auto, Hyper-V and Docker started to  work. 

In the elevated command prompt, type 

bcdedit

to check all the settings. hypervisorlaunchtype was the last property in my case, and it was set to off.  To switch it to auto, type

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto
Revocats10
What's DOS?
Views: 348
Message 10 of 10

westonjm  thanks for updating. I had the same issue and I think you are correct, once Windows updated, I removed the virtualization disabled settings in the Bios, saved it and powered down and then went back into the Bios and enabled virtualization again, and once I logged back in I was able to Enabled Hyper-V services.  I noticed this with a lot of Windows programs as well, even if you have something enabled, in order to get it working, sometimes you have to disabled it and renabled it again. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors