Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fred92
Paper Tape
Views: 322
Message 1 of 6

Cannot install Thunderbolt firmware NVM 20 on T580

Hello to everyone,

Since some weeks, Lenovo Vantage is showing up Thunderbolt Firmware update tool 17.0.0.3-N27TF16W to update firmware to NVM 20.

I tried to install it multiple times, manually and via Vantage, but no success. Although there is no error or warning during installation, Lenovo Vantage keeps showing this update, and according to Thunderbolt software, installed firmware is NVM 14.

Thunderbolt Controller driver version is 17.4.80.94. All other updates of my laptop are installed (including BIOS, Windows,...).

What can I do ?

Thank you for your help.

Fred

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 300
Message 2 of 6

Re: Cannot install Thunderbolt firmware NVM 20 on T580

I noticed your location is FR.  Does this mean you set a regional setting where the decimial separator is a comma?  For example your PC would show a number like "1,23" instead of "1.23".  Unbelievably, there is a bug in the thunderbolt firmware tool where it fails if you have this kind of regional setting.  There are 2 things you can do:

1.  temporarily change the regional setting to US, reboot, and try the update again

2.  wait for the next version of thunderbolt firmware which will fix this problem

Sorry for this trouble.

Fred92
Paper Tape
Views: 279
Message 3 of 6

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

So, I changed the regional settings to US, checked in Excel that the floating separator was a point and not a comma, and re-tried to apply the TB update, but unhappily, it didn't work. Still no warning or error, it seems to happen well, but the firmware is still pending in Vantage and TB software is showing up firmware version NVM 14.

Any other idea ?

Fred

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 272
Message 4 of 6

I'm sorry that didn't work.  The only other idea I have is to reset the thunderbolt controller and try again.  To do this, please shutdown Windows and unplug AC.  Then, using a paperclip, press the emergency reset hole on the bottom of the T580 (it's near the screw closest to the center of the bottom cover).  Then attach AC, turn on the T580, and try the TB firmware update again.

Fred92
Paper Tape
Views: 257
Message 5 of 6

I just tried this method, and nope, no luck, it doesn't work.

Anyway, maybe I will be more lucky with the next TB update :-)

Fred

Hrabroslav
What's DOS?
Views: 37
Message 6 of 6

I was experiencing the same problem on my T480s with Windows 10.

I believe I solved it by booting into live Ubuntu and updated my NVM firmware using fwupdmgr.

I ran:

• sudo apt update
  • sudo apt upgrade
  • fwupdmgr refresh
  • fwupdmgr update

command sequence to get everything up to date and firmware upgrade executed.

fwupdmgr get-devices was showing NVM Firmware version: 14.0 before and NVM Firmware version: 20.0 after executing firmware upgrade.
Windows Thunderbolt Software > About is now showing NVM Firmware version: 0.0 though.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors