Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philipf
Paper Tape
Views: 2,435
Message 1 of 6

Cannot set external monitor as main window on T500

How do I set my external monitor as the main window in Vista when plugged in mini the docking station's DVI port?
My problem is that the check box 'This is my main monitor" is always disabled after extending my my desktop to monitor 4.

The external monitor is loaded as screen 4. (Screen 3 is the T500 and 1 & 2 is allocated to the internal Intel screen card that is not in use)

Thank you,
Philip

sambagreen
Paper Tape
Views: 2,413
Message 2 of 6

Re: Cannot set external monitor as main window on T500

Vista has caused us grief on this score and we've never seen a good answer on why.

The good news is the Thinkpad Presentation Director utility- just fire that up and step through the Wizard. It will let you configure your monitors however you like and save it as a profile. In most situations that configuration will hold when you redock, but worst case is you just select the profile from the PD icon in the taskbar (or set the checkbox to automatically apply it whenever the notebook is docked).

I would emphasize though that we mostly DON'T have to do those latter options- the big win is the capability to set the Primary monitor which for whatever reason Microsoft has grayed out in the regular controls.

Best,

Kevin

P.S. If you really don't want to see the four screen setup and you are not going to use Switchable graphics in the BIOS you can set Display to Discrete Graphics (only) rather than Switchable. You will still likely need PD to set the Primary/Main.

P.P.S You should also be able to do this through the ATI Catalyst Control Center, though in some cases that makes you jump through more hoops than the PD Wizard.

sambagreen
Paper Tape
Views: 2,412
Message 3 of 6

Ah- I also forgot to say "Howzit!"
philipf
Paper Tape
Views: 2,390
Message 4 of 6

Howzit ;Smiley Happy

Thank you exactly what I needed that solves my problem.

Regards,

Philpi

MattePatte
Paper Tape
Views: 2,137
Message 5 of 6

Thanx! That solved my problem too. Smiley Happy
zomigi
Paper Tape
Views: 1,118
Message 6 of 6

sambagreen, you don't know how happy you have made me. The instructions to make a new profile worked like a charm! I had already tried editing an existing profile to make the external monitor the primary one, and that kept giving me an error, but I never thought to create a new profile. I haven't tried restarting or disconnecting and reconnecting to see if the settings persist, but for now I am giddy. Smiley Very Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors