cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cduval04
Paper Tape
Views: 6,592
Message 1 of 3

Cannot use external monitor on USB-C port (ThinkPad T470)

Hi all,

I work IT for a US HQ company and we have a user in our smaller London office who has a T470 and he is trying to connect 2 external displays to it. 

Both displays are Dell P2210 https://noteboox.de/mediafiles/Sonstiges/Dell-Professional-P2210-Users-Guide.pdf which have 1 VGA, 1 DVI-D and one DIsplayPort.

We don't have any T470's here in US that I can test to replicate his issue on. The T470 has an HDMI port and a USB-C port. He currently has one of the monitors successfully connected via a HDMI(male) to VGA(F) adapter.

When he tries to connect his 2nd monitor via the USB-C the PC will not detect it. He is using a USB-C to DIsplayPort cable  USB Type C(Thunderbolt 3) to DisplayPort 4K@60Hz UHD 6 Feet Cable

From all I have read on this machine, it should be able to use the USB-C and HDMI port at the same time for video.

I don't want to just tell him to go get a different cable, as I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing here.

The T470 does support video over USB-C am I correct? All the specs sheet says on the 470 is "Lenovo USB-C to VGA adapter, optional."

This is not very helpful and does not specify if it will support video over other means, nor if this "Lenovo adapter" is a converter or simply an adapter. 

Can someone please help me pinpoint where my issue might be? Thanks.

ne57301
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,585
Message 2 of 3

Re: Cannot use external monitor on USB-C port (ThinkPad T470)

I'm having the same problem with that dock on x1 Carbons. What's odd is that the computer thinks the second monitor is working fine. If I Remte Desktop into the computer I can use the second monitor fine. The Monitor even wakes up when the computer boots but then displays 'no signal detected' after searching it's available ports.

cduval04
Paper Tape
Views: 6,577
Message 3 of 3

Re: Cannot use external monitor on USB-C port (ThinkPad T470)

I thought my answer would be in the BIOS under "shared display priority" but nope only 2 choices under there in the BIOS menu of the T470, "HDMI" and "Dock connector."

Frustrating as the HDMI and USB-C are the only 2 ports on this model that are at all capable of connecting a display. Let me know if you find out any more info as this one has me pretty stumped.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors