Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Last_scout
Paper Tape
Views: 1,660
Message 1 of 6

Cant connect to any wireless network - T410 Win 10

Hello,

since beginning of the year I have started to have connection problems to any wireless network. All of a sudden the laptop no more connects to any wireless network (home, school, phone hotspot) and always shows an error "Cannot connect to this network". It worked before but aftero some "unknown" update the connection cannot be established anymore.

The issue was present on Win7 system but even after upgrading to Win10 it still doesnt work. Latest system and Lenovo companion updates were installed, I have also tested multiple WAN drivers (current one is 15.4.1.1 - Intel Centrino Advanced N 6200). I have tested live Fedora DVD and it connected to any wireless network just fine - the problem have to be somewhere in the Windows OS.

Troubleshooting via Windows tools didnt help at all, also running system check via Lenovo Solution Center didnt return any result. In Windows system setup is the adapter set to NOT safe power when on battery.

Any help will be much appreciated, thank you!

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,647
Message 2 of 6

Re: Cant connect to any wireless network - T410 Win 10

Here are some things to try

Check for Unknown Devices in Device Manager

• Right click on start and select Device Manager
  • Double left click on section titled "Unknown Devices" if listed
  • Report back any Unknown Devices which are listed

Turn off any firewalls you might have with your AV, or the Windows Firewall (just for testing)

• Right Click on Start, and select Control Panel
  • Open Windows Firewall control panel
  • Choose option "Turn Windows Firewall On or Off"
  • Test your Wifi

Reset Windows Network settings

• Right Click on Start and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • In the Command Prompt (Admin) window, type the following commands
  • Type:  netsh winsock reset  and press Enter

• Type:  netsh int ip reset  and press Enter

• Type:  ipconfig /release  and press Enter

• Type:  ipconfig /renew  and press Enter

• Type:  ipconfig /flushdns  and press Enter

• Reboot and test your WiFi connection 

Uninstall WiFi Adapter/driver and install fresh driver

• Connect to internet using wired Ethernet LAN 
  • Uninstall the Wireless adapter from Device Manager
    1. Right click on start and select Device Manager
    2. Double Left click on Network Adapters
    3. Locate your WiFi Adapter and select Uninstall (make sure to select the option to "Delete driver software for this device"
  • Once complete, right click on Network Adapters from within Device Manager and select "Scan for Hardware Changes"
  • Windows should redetect your adapter and download the correct driver.

Create Diagnostic reports

• Right Click on Start and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • In the Command Prompt (Admin) window, type the following commands

ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt

netsh wlan show all >c:\wlan.txt

Two text files (ipconfig.txt and wlan.txt) will be created on the root of your harddrive or C:\.    Please locate and attach to a reply using the Choose File option.

Good Luck

Last_scout
Paper Tape
Views: 1,633
Message 3 of 6

Thank you very much JDGillis for your fast answer to my thread!

Let me reply to your suggestions:

Check for Unknown Devices in Device Manager

No unknow devices found

Turn off any firewalls you might have with your AV, or the Windows Firewall (just for testing)

Turning off the Windows firewall didnt help (no other firewall is installed on the PC).

Reset Windows Network settings

Typed all commands but after system reboot, still the same error is displayed when connecting to Wi-Fi (Windows firewall was still off).

Uninstall WiFi Adapter/driver and install fresh driver

Performed but Windows installed the same driver as was shown before – 15.4.1.1
Windows firewall was still off during this operatoin 

Create Diagnostic reports

Well I am probably dump but wasnt capable to locate the "Choose file" option in the thread reply window. Both files were uploaded here (LAN cable was connected when the commands were executed)

Final comment – I have noticed interesting fact. When trying to connect to any wireless network, device manager was refreshing multiple times like when looking for new hardware. It seems to me like broken driver of the Wi-Fi module but how to fix it? Smiley Happy

Thank you very much

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,627
Message 4 of 6

The Wlan.txt shows that the Wifi card is working, so the driver appears to be OK.   It also sees 3 WiFi networks available, one with the SSID: Housti,  which due to its 99% signal strength must be yours.

SSID 3 : Housti
Network type : Infrastructure
Authentication : WPA2-Personal
Encryption : CCMP
BSSID 1 : d8:b6:b7:8f:39:e9
Signal : 99%
Radio type : 802.11n
Channel : 10
Basic rates (Mbps) : 1 2 5.5 11
Other rates (Mbps) : 6 9 12 18 24 36 48 54

Try the following to see if you can establlish a connection 

• Right Click on Start and select Network Connections
  • Right Click on your WiFi Adapter and select Properties
  • In the WiFi Properties window's section titled "This connection uses the following items"  Locate Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and uncheck the box prceeding it to disable. (you may have to scroll down)
  • Click OK to close.

Test to see if you can connect to your WiFi.

• Right Click on Start and select Network Connections
  • Right Click on your WiFi Adapter and select Properties
  • In the WiFi Properties window's in the section titled Connect using:, click on Configure, and then click the Advanced Tab

Try changing the following Values, and then check your connection after each change

• Under Bandwidth, change from 20_40Mhz to 20Mhz 
  • Under Wireless Mode, change from Auto to 802.11b or 802.11b/g (your modes may be listed differently, but basically try them all)
  • If there is a Property listed for 802.11n  change its value to Disabled

Hopefully just turning off TCP/IPv6 will do the trick, but if not hopefully one of the other combination of settings will solve your problem.

Let me know

take care

Last_scout
Paper Tape
Views: 1,607
Message 5 of 6

Hello JDGillis,

yes, Housti is the correct SSID nearby me and the network I want to connect to. I have tested both your steps:

1. Disable IPv6

2. Tune the device settings according your suggestions (and also its combination or some other ones)

but without luck Smiley Sad I had also dig around with Win logs and found the following:

a. During the unsuccessful Wi-Fi connection the adapter resets itself. It happens with any network and with any try I make to connect to network

b. Win logs says NETwNs64 is missing. Well I googled around but havent find a proper answer for that (why is that happening?)

c. The problem to which Win logs refers is RNWF MSM Helper Class. Main issue in the log also states "Wireless network setup in this computer doesnt match with network requirements of network Houst". If I know what exact settings is incorrect, I would correct it Smiley Happy EDIT: This error was shown only if incorrect password was provided to the network.

I can send more logs if needed, thanks!

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,596
Message 6 of 6

That file may be on your system.....Look in the folder below on yoru computer

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\netwns64.inf_amd64_8df4062f3184ac15

It should contain two files

netwns64.inf

netwns64.sys

If so, right click in netwns64.inf and select install

If that fails to fix the problem, or the files are missing, the following

Unfortunately Lenovo does not have any Windows 10 Chipset Drivres for you model posted, so try running the Intel Driver Update Utility.   Note:Sometimes it finds drivers, but will not install them on Lenovo system due to Lenovo customizations etc, but it is worth a try.

Intel® Driver Update Utility

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Update-Utility

You can also try running a System File Check to see if you have some corrupt system files.

System File Check

• Right Click on the Start Menu and select Command Prompt (Admin)

type:  sfc /scannow  and press enter

Note: Let the System File Check scan run until it completes. I usually appears to hang at about 20%, but just wait and it will eventually complete, but may take up to an hour to finish depending on the system.

Once it completes, it will give one of the following results:

• "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations" (If you get this message, then system file corruption was likely not your problem)
  • "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log" (If you get this message, then your problem might have been corrupted system files, and the problem may be fixed)
  • "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log" (If you get this message, see below on how to run DISM to fix a corrupt Windows Component Store, and then run the SFC scan again)

DISM

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet, and close all programs
  • Right Click on the Start Menu and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • Within the Administrator Command Prompt window, type:  Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Note: After running the DISM utility successfully, you must run the System File Checker again to fix any corrupted system files using the now updated Component Store.

Let me know how it goes.

Take Care

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors