Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
terleo
Paper Tape
Views: 698
Message 1 of 9

Change palmrest with a new one with fingerprint on T470

Hi everyone, I hope you can help me.

I need to know if I can change the palmrest of my laptop (t470 20HE), with a new one with fingerprint. My laptop condition is "in warranty" so, how i can do it? What is your advise?

Leo

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 676
Message 2 of 9

Re: Change palmrest with a new one with fingerprint on T470

My advice is not to do it.  When you take a T470 apart, you remove the bottom cover and start taking out parts.  (motherboard, storage, LCD, etc.)  The last piece you get to is the palmrest.  You might think about an external reader or maybe selling your machine and buying one with the fingerprint.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
terleo
Paper Tape
Views: 667
Message 3 of 9

Thank you for your answer, but maybe there was a misunderstanding. I thinking about tell Lenovo assistance to do that for me, if is possible.
I read other threads and the only differences are palmrest with an hole for the fingerprint and fingerprint reader.
I was just wondering if anyone have done an upgrade when the device was still under warranty through Lenovo to not lose it.

Gordin1
What's DOS?
Views: 637
Message 4 of 9

Hi, Leo.

This is a simple task and should take no longer than 15 minutes.

The palmrest assembly is classed as a CRU (customer replaceable unit) and is easily removed / replaced.

Remove the screws from the underside of the Thinkpad case in the area of the palm rest.

Note: You do not have to remove the base cover.
If your palmrest is a one piece integrated unit that includes the keyboard surround bezel then you will need to remove additional screws from the undersides.
Once the screws are removed the palmrest will unclip from the chassis, take care not to damage the ribbon cable. Remove the ribbon cable from the plug on the system board.
Plug in the cable (there is only one) from the new Palmrest/Fingerprint Reader (FpR) unit and clip the palmrest in place and refit the securing screws.

Full instructions and pictures are in the T470 User Service Manual, you can download it for free from the Lenovo website. Your warranty will not be invalidated if you are installing a genuine Lenovo new part / assembly.

You will need to download the appropriate FpR driver for you OS from the Lenovo website and install it to enable the FpR.

Regards,

Gordon (ex IBM / Lenovo Engineer)

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 626
Message 5 of 9

The last post is NOT CORRECT.  That is the way that models T430 and earlier worked.  The system board and the LCD are held in place by being screwed to the keyboard bezel (palmrest).  There is no separate structure frame as there was in older models.  Here is the list of parts that must be removed first (the service manual).

• “1010 Removable battery” on page 66
• “1020 Micro SIM card” on page 67
• “1030 Base cover assembly” on page 68
• “1040 Memory module” on page 70
• “1050 Internal storage drive” on page 71
• “1060 Wireless-WAN card” on page 75 or “1080 M.2 solid-state drive in the Wireless-WAN-card slot”
on page 78
• “1070 Wireless-LAN module or WiGig module” on page 76
• “1090 Keyboard” on page 79
• “1100 Coin-cell battery” on page 81
• “1110 Speaker assembly” on page 82
• “1120 Built-in battery” on page 83
• “1130 Smart-card reader assembly” on page 84
• “1140 I/O bracket and RJ45 bracket” on page 85
• “1150 Thermal fan assembly” on page 86

• “1160 System board” on page 88
• “1170 Power-button card” on page 91
• “1180 Fingerprint-reader card” on page 91
• “1190 NFC module” on page 93
• “1200 LCD unit” on page 93
• “1210 dc-in cable assembly” on page 95

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 625
Message 6 of 9

The above suggested procedure bears no resemblance to that in the T470 HMM:

Hardware Maintenance Manual - ThinkPad T470

T470 Kbd Bezel CRU.PNG

T470 Kbd Bezel Instructions.PNG

It's as richk described up-thread.

[edit] Simul-post with richk.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

terleo
Paper Tape
Views: 619
Message 7 of 9

Thank you all for the answers. 

I will not touch nothing, but my request is still unsolved. It is possible to call Lenovo assistance to claim this upgrade against payment of a fee?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 607
Message 8 of 9

Yes.  You can call, but I would expect you would be charged for the required service.  I have all the needed tools and I'm experienced.  It would take me a full hour to do it and I would expect it would take as long for a tech to do it.

Rich

terleo
Paper Tape
Views: 589
Message 9 of 9

Sounds good, thank you! 

Best regards, Leo

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors