cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Probably_Eric
What's DOS?
Views: 465
Message 1 of 3

Cheaper to have T430 refurbished or just purchase a refurbished T430?

I found a beat up 5 year old T430 in my attic. The fan is noisy, it heats up quickly, the keyboard is missing a bunch of keys, the dvd drive seems busted, the case around the screen might cracked, one of the speakers is dead and the other is dying. Probably needs a new battery too, and the battery jack is gettin a little loose.

Is it worth fixing this up myself or should I just purchase a "new" refurbished T430 from newegg for $200?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 436
Message 2 of 3

Re: Cheaper to have T430 refurbished or just purchase a refurbished T430?

Hi Probably_Eric and welcome to the community,

It depends, if it was mine, I would be looking on Ebay or Amazon for one in good shape but with a bad motherboard.  If something like that could not be found, I would get the one you mentioned and keep that one for parts and still look for one with a bad motherboard.

The nice thing about ThinkPads is that they are easy to work on, there are training videos here and the HMM is a good document to refer to disassembly and assembly.

Regards,

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
SeniorGuru
Views: 388
Message 3 of 3

Re: Cheaper to have T430 refurbished or just purchase a refurbished T430?

@Probably_Eric wrote:

Is it worth fixing this up myself or should I just purchase a "new" refurbished T430 from newegg for $200?

In addition to topmahof's comments, you have to ask yourself if you have the time, inclination and skills to embark on this process. Not everyone has these attributes. If you do and you see this as a hobby then by all means go for it.

If it helps I can tell you that a T430 with 8GB+ and an SSD remains quite a powerful system even today. In fact I use mine (a T430s actually) as my primary system and am posting this from it.

BTW in addition to the HMM and training videos there are also many people on this forum who can help with specific issues.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors