cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xixi
Paper Tape
Views: 320
Message 1 of 2

Checksum failure on T560 BIOS update 1.22 (bootable cd)

Hello,

Re: BIOS Update (Bootable CD) for Windows 10 (64-bit), 8.1 (64-bit), 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad P50s, T560 version 1.22

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

The SHA1 checksum provided by Lenovo does not match the checksum of the file I downloaded. I downloaded the file 3 times and checked it with 3 different hash generators, including Windows Powershell's certutil.

* Lenovo: acce5eac8a44b9f33239dc422bd4e11358e8a40e

* actual checksum: 8347e3e58c3b8965005434d770f1d7dd8ce59239

I'd like to add comments on my support experience:

I called Priority Support, which is part of my support agreement, and after waiting on hold for 15 minutes, the representative did not seem to understand checksums or what the problem was (at least, he provided no indication that he understood, asked questions that demonstrated ignorance, and said nothing to address the issue). He suddenly said: I'll transfer you to the right department and I heard hold music. To be clear, this isn't the rep's fault; it's Lenovo's for not training him properly and putting him in the embarssing, frustrating position of not knowing what he is doing.

I was transferred to Premium Support (despite the similar name, it's much different than Priority Support), and was told I had to pay to report this problem to Lenovo because it was a "software" issue. The Premium Support rep also did not understand checksums or the problem; he kept saying someone would help me install a BIOS update. After a total of 38 minutes on the phone, I had achieved nothing; I told the rep the info Lenovo needed (the file and the problem), and then told the rep I had to go.

I'm trying again here. Lenovo support is very poor, and that is based on prior experiences too. I regret buying a Thinkpad, soley because of technical support. For people reading this who think this level of support is the norm, you can do far better with Dell's premium support (whatever they call it), and with HP's support for their "Elite" line of computers.

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 292
Message 2 of 2

Re: Checksum failure on T560 BIOS update 1.22 (bootable cd)

Dear sir,

we are very sorry for our poor support on this.

We had confirmed the SHA1 checksum information was wrong and already updated the web for correct value.

Thank you.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors