Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

26 Posts

05-31-2013

USA

27 Signins

240 Page Views

• Views: 240
  • Message 1 of 5

Clean install from a Lenovo installa. dvd: UEFI vs Legacy + Thinkpad setup acc. to Lenovo user Guide

2013-06-16, 13:18 PM

Machine: T520 bought Feb. 2012

O.S. W~7 Pro 64-bit

I want to wipe the harddrive, buy a Lenovo W~7 PRO installation DVD, and do a completely clean installation.

Lenovo User Guide (.pdf) Ch. 8, Adv'd Config, Installing Windows 7, p. 295 (212 of 298) says:

Start Thinkpad setup, then choose UEFI versus Legacy, then insert the installation DVD.

This obviously does not apply when the harddrive has already been wiped (necessary to 100% eliminate all traces of irreversible damage caused by a virus, including the re-installation partition (Q-drive).

When an intallation DVD is purchased from Lenovo, is not the first step to insert the DVD ?!! Then presumably there is an installation wizard resulting in a restored O.S. ?!!

If not, please tell me what surprises are in store, and where I can find a reliable written resource to consult !!!

Thank-you.

Answer
Options

26 Posts

05-31-2013

USA

27 Signins

240 Page Views

Re: Clean install from a Lenovo installa. dvd: UEFI vs Legacy + Thinkpad setup acc. to Lenovo user G

2013-06-16, 17:45 PM

Hi, Z

Sorry, but I am not any further ahead in understanding any of the apparent contradictions, nor in knowing how to proceed.

Is it not the case here that the Lenovo User Guide is referring to just one of several possible types of clean install, and that it is totally ignoring the other methods ?!!

If my first step in re-installing Lenovo's version of W~7 Pro is to use a 3rd-party application to completely remove every file from the harddrive, how can I then perform any actions before inserting a Lenovo-supplied installation dvd ? I know that the BIOS software is separate from Windows, but is it still there ? Or, is the Lenovo User Guide referring to a situation wherein one does not first do a so-called "wiping of the harddrive" before initiating a clean reinstallation process ? Also, whether one wipes first or not, is the guide referring to a Microsoft (generic) installation dvd, and not referring to one purchased from Lenovo ? I should think that an installation dvd purchased from Lenovo would put back onto my computer exactly what was there before, and not ask me to make decisions like UEFI versus Legacy (in fact, the words "UEFI" and "Legacy" do not even appear in any computer profile file on my computer.

On the other hand, if the L~ User Guide's instructions do indeed apply to a wiped harddrive, the Guide says absolutely nothing about what criterion to use to make this "choice" between UEFI 64-bit and Legacy 64-bit.

(When the Lenovo's User guide's instructions raise more questions than original question, then those instructions are worse than no instructions at all !!!)

Replies(4)
Options

8980 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77784 Signins

2227845 Page Views

• Views: 2227845
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Clean install from a Lenovo installa. dvd: UEFI vs Legacy + Thinkpad setup acc. to Lenovo user G

2013-06-16, 13:59 PM

Hi,

By Start Thinkpad setup presumably the manual means go to BIOS and configure for UEFI.

Strange wording indeed.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Answer
Options

26 Posts

05-31-2013

USA

27 Signins

240 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2013-06-16, 17:45 PM

Hi, Z

Sorry, but I am not any further ahead in understanding any of the apparent contradictions, nor in knowing how to proceed.

Is it not the case here that the Lenovo User Guide is referring to just one of several possible types of clean install, and that it is totally ignoring the other methods ?!!

If my first step in re-installing Lenovo's version of W~7 Pro is to use a 3rd-party application to completely remove every file from the harddrive, how can I then perform any actions before inserting a Lenovo-supplied installation dvd ? I know that the BIOS software is separate from Windows, but is it still there ? Or, is the Lenovo User Guide referring to a situation wherein one does not first do a so-called "wiping of the harddrive" before initiating a clean reinstallation process ? Also, whether one wipes first or not, is the guide referring to a Microsoft (generic) installation dvd, and not referring to one purchased from Lenovo ? I should think that an installation dvd purchased from Lenovo would put back onto my computer exactly what was there before, and not ask me to make decisions like UEFI versus Legacy (in fact, the words "UEFI" and "Legacy" do not even appear in any computer profile file on my computer.

On the other hand, if the L~ User Guide's instructions do indeed apply to a wiped harddrive, the Guide says absolutely nothing about what criterion to use to make this "choice" between UEFI 64-bit and Legacy 64-bit.

(When the Lenovo's User guide's instructions raise more questions than original question, then those instructions are worse than no instructions at all !!!)

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

8980 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77784 Signins

2227845 Page Views

• Views: 2227845
  • Message 4 of 5

2013-06-16, 17:59 PM

You're over-thinking this and making it harder than it needs to be.  The manual isn't helping...

The BIOS is stored in non-volatile memory on the motherboard.  One would probably call it firmware, not software.  It is there regardless of what's on the HDD - or whether there's even an HDD installed.

Turn your machine off.  Turn it on again.  When you see the logo screen, hit F1 - multiple times if necessary.  That gets you into the motherboard's BIOS configuration utility - what the manual is calling "Setup".

Here's a snip below from the T520 BIOS configuration utility (actually from the on-line BIOS simulator).  In the StartUp tab you can see where UEFI/Legacy can be selected.  You can configure UEFI boot there.  Or "both".  Or - probably - just select Setup Defaults, save, and exit.

Z.

T520BIOS.PNG

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

26 Posts

05-31-2013

USA

27 Signins

240 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2013-06-16, 19:12 PM

Hi, Z

Thanks alot for having taken the time to address this issue. I think "the problem she is solv-ed" (to quote Inspector Clouseau). I looked at my computer's Startup, and I have written down the settings for future reference. Just to make sure I understand: after wiping the harddrive, I turn on the computer/F1 to get to the Thinkpad Setup/Startup; I choose the UEFI/Legacy settings OR choose Default; then I insert the Lenovo installation dvd.

Again, many thanks. I hope that the rest of your day is pleasant one.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms