cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atwnsw1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 862
Message 1 of 6

Clone T430S HDD to Samsung Evo 850 SSD on Windows 7 Home Premium (Willing to pay $25)

I am terrified of screwing this up given that the software on the laptop runs my wife's business.  You can imagine the ramifications mess it up.

I have googled/searched on this site multiple threads and they each have a different twist.

Some say put the new SSD in the laptop while others say that I should connect it using the USB cable.

Also, there was some confusing info about AHCI, Aligning sectors, Indexing, TRIM, etc...

Data Requirements:  Used space on current HDD = 300GB.  New SSD is 500GB.  

I do not wish to use the old HDD after cloning.

Hardware purchased for cloning project:

Samsung Evo 850 500GB Internal SSD

Startech USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable w/ UASP-SATA to USB 3.0 Converter for SSD/HDD

Would somebody please be kind enough to walk me through this and post current instructions?

I have read about Acronis True Image, Samsung Magician, Macrium Reflect, etc... and there doesn't appear to be a consensus.

I feel like I have just enough information to be dangerous and really screw this up.

Anybody want to help me through a topic that has been covered repeatedly but is still terrifying to me?

Thanks

Anthony

P.S.  I am willing to pay $25 via paypal if you are experienced in doing this and will walk me through the process....

Moderator note: serial number removed for member's protection.

SeniorGuru
Views: 848
Message 2 of 6

Re: Clone T430S HDD to Samsung Evo 850 SSD on Windows 7 Home Premium (Willing to pay $25)

First, welcome to the forum.

I am terrified of screwing this up given that the software on the laptop runs my wife's business.  You can imagine the ramifications mess it up.

1. You're going to copy the contents of your current HDD to your new SSD. If for any reason there's a problem you can always go back to the HDD. Its contents won't have changed.

2. In any case, if this system is critical to your wife's business then presumbly you already back up the HDD. Back it up again just before you begin the clone process just in case.

> I have googled/searched on this site multiple threads and they each have a different twist.

Some say put the new SSD in the laptop while others say that I should connect it using the USB cable.

Also, there was some confusing info about AHCI, Aligning sectors, Indexing, TRIM, etc...

1. Put the HDD in the external USB enclosure and put the SSD in the T430s main drive bay. Temporarily boot from the HDD in the USB enclosure. Clone from HDD to SSD. Reboot normally (i.e. from the SSD).

2. If you're on Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 then there's no need to mess with those confusing parameters. Let the OS sort this stuff out.

I have read about Acronis True Image, Samsung Magician, Macrium Reflect, etc... and there doesn't appear to be a consensus.

I would use Samsung's own Data Migration Software. ("The Samsung Data Migration software is designed to help users quickly, easily, and safely migrate all of their data – including their current operating system, application software, and user data – from their existing storage device (e.g. HDD) to their new Samsung SSD. Samsung Data Migration software is developed and distributed exclusively for owners of Samsung Solid State Drives (SSDs).")

I feel like I have just enough information to be dangerous and really screw this up.

Take a deep breath. This stuff isn't that complicated. Take things one step at a time and double check each step before you take it. Enjoy the substantial performance improvement from upgrading to an SSD.

P.S. re "I do not wish to use the old HDD after cloning."

Hang on to that drive for a while just in case there's a problem with the SSD. It's rare but it's possible for a new drive to fail. Once the SSD has been running OK for a a couple of weeks, consider using the HDD as a backup device.

Fanfold Paper
Views: 843
Message 3 of 6

Re: Clone T430S HDD to Samsung Evo 850 SSD on Windows 7 Home Premium (Willing to pay $25)

I don't have an external USB enclosure for the HDD.  Do I need one?

I just have the transfer cable..... 

SeniorGuru
Views: 836
Message 4 of 6

The cable will work fine. An enclosure simply provides a more secure home for the HDD should you decide to use it afterwards.

Fanfold Paper
Views: 783
Message 5 of 6

Help.......Stuck....

I swapped the SSD with the HDD and plugged the HDD into a USB connector.

When I reboot the computer I hit F12 until I was able to select the boot option of USB drive.  However, the computer then boots into a "Windows Error Recovery" session and offering me to either:

Launch Startup Repair (Recommended)

or

Start Windows Normally.

When I choose to start to windows normally I am in a loop and it brings me back to Windows Error Recovery....

Suggestions?

SeniorGuru
Views: 757
Message 6 of 6

Re: Help.......Stuck....

That procedure has always worked for me including with T430s systems.

Try it the other way, i.e. with the HDD in the T430s and the SSD on the USB cable.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors