Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NymsaiBr
Paper Tape
Views: 1,163
Message 1 of 4

Coffee Spill on Thinkpad T430

Hi community!

Yesterday, I accidentally spilled coffee (no sugar and only a little bit of milk) in my ThinkPad T430.

it was plugged in the charger, and as soon as I spilled coffee the computer shut down (the coffee reached the bottom of the screen)

I took off the battery and the keyboard, cleaned a bit and now the computer is drying.

when I opened there was coffee around but apparently it didn't reach the mother board.

I am almost sure it won't turn on again due to the fact it instantly shut down when the coffee touched the keyboard.

However, I Hope you can give me more positive views on my computer's situation? Is there any chance to save it? 

Thanks

Nymsai

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,114
Message 2 of 4

Re: Coffee Spill on Thinkpad T430

It will need to be disassembled to determine what was damaged.  Affected parts may be cleaned with alcohol, but may not recover.  Coffee is both acidic and conductive so things hit will likely be damaged.  (As a slight comfort, coffee is less terrible than cola-based soft drinks.) The best case would be that the coffee hit the power jack only and caused a short.  The keyboard would likely be damaged beyond repair.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Former Employee
Views: 1,097
Message 3 of 4

I thought Lenovo Thinkpads were supposed to be immune to drink spills?

I am a former employee not a support professional so any help I offer here is as a fellow user.
Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,084
Message 4 of 4

They resist spills.  They are not immune.  There are channels around the keyboard that empty a small amount into drain holes.  The hope is that the keyboard will suffer, but more expensive parts will be protected..  Too much liquid will spill over the drain channels.  It depends on how much liquid and where it happens to land.  

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors