Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spearoid
Punch Card
Views: 2,088
Message 1 of 23

Computer locks after screen goes blank

With every computer I've owned before, the screen going blank does not lock my computer. A quick move of the mouse or touch of the keyboard used to restore you to your logged in session instantly. 
With my T410, any time the screen goes blank, my computer locks itself and I have to swipe my finger to get back in. This is very annoying.

I can disable my computer locking itself when it goes to sleep and that fixes this, but I WANT my computer to lock when it goes to sleep, otherwise the finger swipe to resume isn't even an option....plus if my computer is asleep the chances are much higher that I am not near it...and I want that security in place.

Does anyone know of a way to get Lenovo's software to only lock the computer after sleep or hibernate and NOT simply after the screen goes blank?

I have never seen a computer lock itself after going blank before so I really have no point of reference to fixing this.

It just occurred to me that I might be too loose with my words. I am not talking about the "screen going blank" like back in the days of screensavers and the screen still being on....I am talking about the screen turning off, as in a function of power management.

Sleeperless
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,068
Message 2 of 23

Re: Computer locks after screen goes blank

Screen turning off is controlled by Screen off timer, typically 5 or 10 minutes, what about your screen saver timer, if they are the same, you will see screen turned off, and at the same time, the screen saver program starts!

Spearoid
Punch Card
Views: 2,060
Message 3 of 23

Well, as with most forums, they are an opportunity to see how well the average person can read.

I know how timers work. I know how screen savers work and how power saving timers work. I know how to adjust the intervals of time.

The issue is that when my LCD is powered off, my computer becomes locked and requires a password to re-enter my session. This has not been the case with any computer I have ever owned or used.....and that number is in the thousands. Even with my T400 and Windows 7 with Lenovo's power manager installed, I could return from the LCD being powered off without anything more than a touch of the touchpad to return me to my session.

The only options I see in Power Manager are to "require password' after standby or hibernation. Well the LCD powering off is neither of these things.....and while unchecking that does eliminate the need for a password after the LCD powers off, it also affects standby and hibernation, which I do not want.

Again, no other computer I have ever seen locks a session after powering off a monitor or LCD. Maybe there is a checkbox somewhere I am not seeing.

Anyone else been annoyed by this on their new TP?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,048
Message 4 of 23

Spearoid, please treat fellow community members with the respect you would like to receive. It's one of the Community Rules.

Sleeperless makes a good suggestion.

Your symptoms are also consistent with the blank screen save and display logon on resume being set.

Others may have further suggestions for you...Smiley Happy.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Spearoid
Punch Card
Views: 2,042
Message 5 of 23

Bananaman, there was no suggestion made by sleeperless. 

I even made it clear at the end of the original post that I am not talking about the screen saver. Surely those words would indicate my awareness of the difference between the two. My last sentence in that original post was written specifically to avoid someone responding to my post sideways with comments about screen savers.

I know my symptoms are consistent with a screen save......again, the reason I finished with that sentence on the original post....and the reason why I yearn for a more thorough reading before posting.

I have no screen saver in use, and have not used one since the days of EGA monitors.

This session locking occurs when the LCD turns off.

Surely someone on these forums has noticed this new locking feature with their new Thinkpad. Please, chime in, or even better, offer a solution.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,032
Message 6 of 23

To get your answer, I suggest you don't try to flatten everyone who tries to help!

It's not uncommon for problem posters to be mistaken in their assumptions.

Spearoid
Punch Card
Views: 2,023
Message 7 of 23

Oh, I have no intention or desire to flatten anyone. In this world of forum communication, we have the luxury of time to gather our thoughts before posting them. Encouraging forum members to read thoroughly could have a positive effect. In a real-time face-to-face conversation, responding inaccurately can happen and can be worked around rather quickly, but here it wastes much more time.

I will continue to fight back my first reply thoughts. Compared to the first time you spanked me, this near-offense was quite mild.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,005
Message 8 of 23

OK now we've got that out of the way Smiley Happy, anyone have any ideas for Spearoid on the locking T410?

Jimbo
802.11n
Views: 1,991
Message 9 of 23

There's a separate checkbox for turning on the logon screen upon resuming from screensavers (Control Panels->Personalization->Screen Saver Settings). There is a "Blank" screensaver. So it's possible to disable turning off the screen in the power manager, and instead use a screensaver.

But none of the screensavers that come with Vista, for instance, are capable of turning off the display's backlight or dimming that backlight. Although most LED-backlit displays only draw a few watts of power anyway (I wouldn't use a screensaver with a fluorescent-backlit display, because those backlights age much more quickly than LED backlights). The "Blank" screensaver will, however, eliminate any video card activity, thus saving some energy.

Otherwise, you're probably going to have to shell out a few bucks for something like the following:

http://download.cnet.com/Turn-Off-Monitor/3000-2344_4-193623.html
http://www.rtsoftwares.com/TurnOffMonitor/Turn-Off-Monitor.htm

Good luck!

Spearoid
Punch Card
Views: 1,980
Message 10 of 23

Thanks for the response.

The behavior/issue I am describing is unique to this new T410 as far as I have experienced. I am fairly certain that I could uninstall Lenovo's Power Manager software and install the UPEK Fingerprint software from the manufacturer's website and the LCD powering off would revert to functioning as it normally does on all other Windows machines.

This is the first time I have stuck with the OEM installed version of Windows with all the bloatware because the last few times installing Windows on a Thinkpad, I have found it frustrating to get everything to work just right.

With that said, I am positive had I done that, my LCD would power off and not lock me out.

I want to first have someone verify for me that their T410 or T510 also requires a password after the LCD has powered off. Please recall that I know it won't require a password if you have unchecked the option to require password when resuming from standby/hibernate....even though what I am talking about is neither.

I am actually surprised no one else has replied with a "yes, that has been driving me crazy too"

maybe I am just overlooking a disable option somewhere.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors