cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mliz01
Paper Tape
Views: 346
Message 1 of 8

Computer performance slower since getting a new charger?

Hi! I've had my Lenovo T530 for about four years, so I know it's not altogether strange if the performance should start to drop. That said, I've had this problem come on so suddenly that I don't think it's necessarily just wear-and-tear.

I got a new Lenovo charger yesterday evening after my previous one broke. My old charger was an AF09 model with 100-240V input and 20V output. The new one is a PWR+ PWR-TA model with the same specs, except that there's the number 3.25A next to the output while the previous one had 4.5A. I have no idea what this means (nor do I know much about computers in general) so I'm not sure if this is significant.

Anyway, since receiving the new charger last night my laptop has seemed to run extremely slowly at times, especially when charging, though it's not quite at its former speed when disconnected either. It's mostly quite slow to boot up or exit sleep mode, and video playback suffers from a bit of buffering where there was none previously. I suspect that the new power supply may have something to do with it, though I can't imagine why. I'm not sure if I want to go through the trouble of returning the charger and getting a new one unless I know it's the probable cause. The only other cause I can think of was that after my last charger broke, my computer ended up dying on me as I tried to finish some work. Being an older laptop, the sudden death may have just hastened what was already happening.

I'm running Windows 10 and I was only running Opera during the latest slowdown, with the laptop taking forever to come out of sleep mode and taking a good minute or so to register a click for a few minutes afterwards. I unplugged the charger and it seemed to help, though I've currently got it plugged in now and it's faster than before. If you could help me at all with this or shed some light on what might be happening I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

otheos
802.11n
Views: 335
Message 2 of 8

Re: Computer performance slower since getting a new charger?

Your original charger was 20v 4.5A, that is 20x4.5=90W

The new charger is 20v 3.25A, that is 20x3.25=65W

This means there is less power available to yor T530. This could mean that your CPU throttles to account for the smaller charger. This means it is running slower as there is not enough power to run at full speed. 

Having said, if you have the battery connected there shouldn't be a problem, but I will stop here waiting for others to contribute to this answer.

Thinkpad T480s, Thinkpad T460p
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 312
Message 3 of 8

4.5 amps at 20 volts = 90 watts of power (4.5 X 20 = 90)

3.25 amps at 20 volts = 65 watts (3.25 X 20 = 65)

If you have discrete graphics (nVIDIA) the machine is supposed to have a 90W power supply and will slow down to reduce consumption with a smaller power supply.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
mliz01
Paper Tape
Views: 277
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and bought a new charger which arrived today, though it doesn't seem to be helping the laptop get back to its normal speed. Is there a setting or something I might need to reset?

I even tried Avira's free System Speedup in order to try help it along, with little effect so far.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 273
Message 5 of 8

Is the charger a genuine Lenovo charger?  What are the specs?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

mliz01
Paper Tape
Views: 245
Message 6 of 8

Hi, thanks for asking! The charger is completely unbranded, so I don't think it's one issued by Lenovo. I have used this exact type of charger for two years now though (the only reason I went with the Pwr+ to start was because I needed a charger immediately and they had express delivery. Ironic eh?) The charger is Input 100-240V ~ 50-60Hz 1.5A. The Output is 20V 4.5 A.

I now have a whole new problem however, which is that every time I try to start up I now get a blue screen and an error message saying I have an external device improperly connected to my PC (which I don't). This makes me think my laptop might really be on its last legs and I should try to salvage my non-backed up data if I can. Please let me know if it's clear to you what's happening, but otherwise I think I will be looking for repair services around where I live.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 240
Message 7 of 8

I would look in the event log and see if I could determine what device the OS thinks is connected.

Rich

mliz01
Paper Tape
Views: 235
Message 8 of 8

Thanks, I appreciate your advice, though even if I knew how to do that I'm not sure I can. Literally all I can do with my laptop is go into the Interrupted Startup screen, or else get the recovery error. From attempting to figure out what's happening it seems that my laptop may be having trouble communicating with the hard drive.

I have no idea why this has happened now, and if it's connected to my charger problem at all. It could be that the power failures have fried the hard drive? I am really out to sea here.

Once again, I appreciate your input though!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors