Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MMVEIGA
What's DOS?
Views: 4,611
Message 1 of 5

Connect two external displays to T480S without doc

Hello,

I have a Lenovo T480S running Linux and am trying to connect two external monitors without the use of a doc station. Since I cannot use both HDMI and USB-C ports at the same time as described in the documentation:

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/pubs/t480s/html_en/index_en.html#Using_an_external_display_(topic...

I connected as following :

The first display is connected via HDMI to the HDMI port and is working without any problems.

The second display is connected to the  the USB-C (Thunderbolt 3 compatible) port, using an USB-C to HDMI cable like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075V5JK36/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

But the second monitor does not work, even with the HDMI port not in use.

Any pointers on how to connect two displays at the same time to the T480S without a doc ? Is that even supported ?

Thanks and best regards,

MMV.

mlh61
What's DOS?
Views: 3,868
Message 2 of 5

Re: Connect two external displays to T480S without doc

Why has LeNovo not answered this important question? I have a similar situation: Want to connect two external monitors to my T480s without having to buy a dock-in station. Also, the number of USB ports is very low - how do I get around that?
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 3,851
Message 3 of 5

Hi mlh61, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

This is primarily users helping users here, moderated by volunteers like me. There is increasing Lenovo presence, but they don't patrol the entire community. They do help with some of the broader issues.

As MMVEIGA mentioned, only one external monitor at a time is supported, on the USB-C or HDMI port. For more you will need a dock or similar hardware.

If the two USB 3.1 and two USB-C ports built in are not enough, you will need a dock or hub.

Hope this helps!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Highlighted
mlh61
What's DOS?
Views: 3,848
Message 4 of 5

Thanks so much for coming back so quickly and with a relevant answer. Which dock would you recommend, I understand that there are several options available, some rather expensive...

jeremyshaw
802.11n
Views: 3,814
Message 5 of 5

IMO, I'd want to test that adapter a bit more first, since you stated it didn't work in single-monitor mode. If the HDMI port is not in use and the USB-C (charging, no TB3) port is used, it should work. Same with the TB3 port. If neither port works, I'd start looking into:

Cable functionality
OS settings
Monitor

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors