Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gegogi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,940
Message 1 of 8

Connecting 3 external displays to T420s

Is there anybody who succeeded in using three monitors with T420s and minidock 3 plus?

My problem is that I have to connect one monitor in analog to get all of the monitors working.

If I use three digital ports only, I can activate just two monitors at once and get an error message

like "This GPU supports up to 2 displays" in trying to activate the third one.

According to the document by Lenovo below, the only condition I have to satisfy to use three

external monitors is using DiplayPort of T420s instread of dock's for one monitor and

the D-sub connection is not required. I've updated to the latest nVidia Optimus Driver from

Lenovo and still no luck.

One strange thing is that when I use the analog port, two monitor look connected to Intel Video

and the other two look connected nVidia Video. But when I use only digital ports, nVidia has

all the three monitors and Intel has the panel of the laptop only.

Is there anybody who got the same configuration working?

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/options_iso/tp_multiple_monitor_config_nvidiaoptimus_...

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,909
Message 2 of 8

Re: Connecting 3 external displays to T420s

AFAIK, you have to use the displayport on the laptop itself, if you want the third digital connection.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
gegogi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,896
Message 3 of 8

That is exactly what I have been doing. As I wrote, it is the only requirement from the document and I cannot make it work. I just wonder if there is anybody using three digital connections. If so, I will try to find any difference from the working setup. Otherwise I have to forget it fast.
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,892
Message 4 of 8

Do you have the optimus nvidia graphics card or the intel only model?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
gegogi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,890
Message 5 of 8

Please read my first post.

I have said that I've connected one monitor to DisplayPort on my T420s and also said I've updated to the latest Optimus Driver. If I'm not using Optimus model or haven't enabled Optimus in BIOS, I cannot even install the driver.

Spicoli
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,882
Message 6 of 8

I'm having the exact same problem as you and have yet to find a solution. I've called support three times and no one seems to be able to figure anything out, sad. I just bought this laptop for the sole purpose of hooking up three digital monitors and I'm about ready to send it back.

gegogi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,865
Message 7 of 8

This is really disappointing. Lenovo is explicitly advertising that T420 is capable of quad-display setup using only digital connections. I hope it can be fixed with a driver patch but seems very unlikely.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/options_iso/tp_multiple_monitor_config_nvidiaoptimus_...

Spicoli
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,844
Message 8 of 8

So far I've tried 3 Dell U2410's and 3 Dell G2410's in all digital combinations that are possible and haven't had any success, so I doubt it's the monitors. I rolled my BIOS back to 1.25 and nVidia drivers to 268.02, still nothing.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors