Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ambrogi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 780
Message 1 of 4

Continuing graphics problems with T460s

Hoping someone has a fix for this. I'd posted about this before with no resolution. 

Certain programs open only as solid black squares. This happens with Spotify, Skype and certain web conferencing apps, such as Citrix GoToMeeting. I can't see text or images or anything -- just solid black. 

If I disable the graphics driver (Intel HD Graphics 520), then restart the programs, they display properly. 

This problem started about  two months ago after an update to the driver version. I tried rolling back the driver and thought that fixed it, but it didn't. I just updated to the latest driver version (21.20.16.4590) and it didn't fix the problem. 

Has anyone else encountered this and, more importantly, has anyone found a fix for it?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 740
Message 2 of 4

Re: Continuing graphics problems with T460s

I'm sorry for this trouble.  I have never heard of a problem like this before.  I will reach out to a couple experts to see if we can come up with any suggestions to debug this.

ambrogi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 697
Message 3 of 4

I have more information on this problem. Today I tried uninstalling the graphics driver. Rather than uninstall it, that rolled it back to version 21.20.16.4505, dated 8/19/16. When it did, all the problems I was having went away. Then it auto-updated to version 21.20.16.4534, dated 10/7/16, and the problems came back. I rolled back to the 8/19 version, and everything was fine again. 

So something about the 10/7 version (and subsequent versions) is causing certain applications in my computer to black out. 

Is there a way to keep the driver from auto-updating?

ambrogi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 677
Message 4 of 4

I think I finally solved my own problem. I completely uninstalled the Intel HD Graphics 520 and then installed the latest version (21.20.16.4590). The graphics seem to now be running as they should and I'm not seeing any black screens in the programs where I was previously having trouble. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors