Did you mean: 
Sygnus
Not applicable
Views: 221
Message 1 of 5

Copying Lenovo recovery and Win 7 installation files to new hard disk

Hi,

I have a Lenovo T420.

Hard disk includes 3 partitions- c: regular, d: system_drv (hidden), f:lenovo_recovery (hidden).

System_drv partition i believe includes the installation file of Win 7.

I'd like to replace the old hard disk with a new one, so i believe i need to copy partitions d: and f: to the new hard disk, so it will conatin both Win 7 installation files and lenovo recovery.

I'd be glad for any help how can i solve it.

Thanks,

ColonelONeill
Not applicable
Views: 212
Message 2 of 5

Re: Copying Lenovo recovery and Win 7 installation files to new hard disk

SYSTEM_DRV does not contain the Windows 7 install files. It contains the bootloader, which can boot into the Rescue and Recovery environment on Lenovo_Recovery.

If you want to use a new blank hard drive, I recommend creating a set of recovery disks from your current hard drive, then restoring to the new drive.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
Sygnus
Not applicable
Views: 198
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for your reply.

How can i make a set of recovery disks from my currny hard drive?

Will it also include the Win 7 installation files?

And how can i then copy these disks to the blank hard disk?

Thanks again.

nibs
Not applicable
Views: 187
Message 4 of 5

Your new hard disk may come with cloning software. If it does, that will be the easiest way to copy everything over to the new drive.
X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
x220forme
Not applicable
Views: 182
Message 5 of 5

> Hard disk includes 3 partitions- c: regular, d: system_drv (hidden), f:lenovo_recovery (hidden).

This partitions table looks not standard.
Default table on the systems with win7 preinstalled on the single drive inserted should be as fbelow:
- System_DRV, the drive the letter isn't assigned, hidden
- Windows7_OS, C:
- Lenovo_Recovery, Q:, hidden

Some times System_DRV, after a lot of manipulations, might have the volume S:
These combinations allow to perform the recovery process. Otherwise, with another partitions labels, don't.

It seems there might be the 2nd drive in OP's system. Remove it and perform the clonning process of entire (!) source drive, not the partitions separately.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors