Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PBStanley
Paper Tape
Views: 1,122
Message 1 of 7

Crash when hot-swap battery

Hi - when i'm running low on battery power and I want to swap over to a new batter, I close the lid and take out the battery (clip 1, then clip 2) and the system crashes.  I insert new battery and have to press the power button which then starts up the machine in recovery (black screen, white text) mode.

To trouble shoot, I've reset all power managment setting to default settings.  i've udated drives and BIOS.  No joy. Please help. THanks. 

Lenovo T460 (2017).  Windows 7 Pro.  Corei7. 

ewicky
Paper Tape
Views: 1,066
Message 2 of 7

Re: Crash when hot-swap battery

I had the same issue on my T440s. After several warranty services, they were unable to fix the issue, and gave a brand new T450s instead. It has the same issue. I found out a solution.

It's a Lenovo design fault, which can be overcome with some dexterity.

Background: Clip #1 has an electrical switch that is triggered when inserting or removing a battery, in addition to physically latching it.  This electrical switch must be triggered to prepare the BIOS/power-manager/motherboard/whatever for an insert or remove. If the system isn't prepared for an insert or remove, the whole computer immediatly turns comletely off.

The Lenovo design fault is 2-part:

First, the clip #1 trigger has to be held in the triggered possition during the moment the electical terminals make or break contact. This is instead of a better design, such as a 10-second tap'n'go timer.

Second, the physical latching part of clip #1 interacting with the battery's latch-holding-recess should be designed such that, at the physical moment contact is broken or made, clip #1 is mechanically pushed all the way to the triggered (release) side. A design like this would overcome the first fault mentioned above. However, clealy Lenovo never actually tested this, because it doesn't quite hold clip #1 far enough out to hit the trigger sensor.

What happens is, when you or I insert or remove the battery, clip #1 is only partially slid to the release side, so the system isn't prepared for a insert/remove, and it crashes. To overcome, physically hold clip #1 all the way to the release side during any insert or remove battery-sliding action. This can be a little difficult with only two hands, since it often takes two hands alone to remove the battery.

Think of it as a door handle. Sure, you could let the door swing closed, and it will latch itself closed. But with a Lenovo door, you need to close the door very quietly, so you hold the handle turned until the door is fully closed, and only then you return the handle. Great for sneaking out of boring seminars.

I hope this helps,

Cheers!

ewicky
Paper Tape
Views: 1,086
Message 3 of 7

I've written a detailed response on how to solve this, but my post keeps getting removed moments after posting it. PM and I'll send you the answer.

PS why does my post keep getting deleted? I read and am following the community guidelines...

PBStanley
Paper Tape
Views: 1,068
Message 4 of 7

Hi - thanks for reply. Please send- hopefully this time your reply will stick! ;->

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,063
Message 5 of 7

@ewicky wrote:

I've written a detailed response on how to solve this, but my post keeps getting removed moments after posting it. PM and I'll send you the answer.

PS why does my post keep getting deleted? I read and am following the community guidelines...

The automated spam filters work in mysterious ways.  They can be overly aggressive but they also spare us from an enormous pile of spam.

I've rescued one of your posts and put it back in this thread.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

PBStanley
Paper Tape
Views: 1,052
Message 6 of 7

Thanks, ewicky!  The issue is superbly described, and your solution works perfeclty.  I hope Lenovo are reading this!

Cheers.

Squallgom
What's DOS?
Views: 948
Message 7 of 7

Hello can you send me the way to fix tis problem please??

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors