cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Views: 34,819

Question

My machine comes preloaded with Windows 8. Unlike Windows 7, Lenovo Think products do not have options to create recovery media in Windows 8 via Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools.

Thus, is there any way to create recovery disc or media for just in case anything happens to my system and i need to recover back the system to factory default state?

Answer

Below are the instructions for creating the Lenovo Microsoft Windows 8 preload Recovery Media for Lenovo Think branded systems.  A minimum 16GB USB flash drive is required to make a complete backup.

1. Open Recovery applet by pressing the Microsoft Windows key and X.  Select "Control Panel" from the menu and then select "Recovery" from the Control Panel pane as shown below. 

2. Select "Advanced recovery tools" and then select "Create a recovery drive" as shown below.

3. Click "Yes" at the User Account Control prompt (if prompted
  4. Make sure that "Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive." is checked as shown below.

5. Select the appropriate USB Flash Drive.
  6. The selected drive will be reformatted during the recovery creation process as shown below.

7. USB format and file copy will begin.  This process may take up to hour and will display as shown below.

8. Once the Recovery Media creation has completed, there is the option to delete the recovery partition.  On most systems, this partition is about 10G in size.  Lenovo strongly recommends that this recovery partition remain intact as shown below.

9. Recovery Media Process is complete and Control Panel can be closed.

Was this information helpful?

Comments
Cysag
Hi The option above "Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive." is grey out so cannot be ticked. what is the option? i need to wipe out my HD to install win 7. thank you
timscott

I have just set up my new T440s and tried to create recovery media. However, the option to "Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive" is greyed out and cannot be selected.

It is possible to select next without the copy option, but this produces an error saying "We can't create a recovery drive on this PC." and a further explanation saying "Some required files are missing. To troubleshoot problems when your PC can't start, use your Windows installation disc or media".

How do I resolve this problem and create the recovery media I need?

hillman

Same problem with my T430U. Strangely, I WAS able to create a USB recovery drive in late December but wanted to do a fresh one. No idea what changed. I had already upgrated to W 8.1 before the Dec. drive was created, but not I get the same error message as tim above.  My "disk management" app shows "healthy" recovery partitions on my system.

If the option to "Copy the recovery partition" is greyed out, it means the recovery partition does not exist.

It's possible that you already built the recovery drive and chose the option to delete the recovery partition at that time.

If you restore the system with the recovery drive, the recovery partition is not re-created (because it is already on your recovery drive).
GatsbyCat
Does anyone have further information on this issue? I have a T440S obtained in April. I did not immediately create a recovery drive, nor did I delete anything. But now when I try to create recovery media I receive the same messages mentioned above (the option to "Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive" is not enabled so I cannot check it; if I click next I get the message that I cannot create a recovery drive..."Some required files are missing". I called Lenovo tech support about this and they said they would send me a CD with Windows 8 recovery media on it. That doesn't entirely help, since my system came preloaded with Windows 8.1 Pro. (Also the system doesn't have an optical drive, tho that is solvable with an external drive). The tech support person said I could use the recovery media to reinstall Windows 8, then upgrade to windows 8.1 and then reinstall all of my apps, which isn't really what I was looking for unless I had a total failure, which I don't. I would however like to be able to repair windows locally if needed. Has anyone been successful at creating a recovery drive with windows pro 8.1?
spikeywikey

Sorry if this has been ask before, new here.

I bought a second Lenovo Helix of an auction website, and the OS was completely wiped, I then bought a set of Helix recovery media of lenovorecovery.com. I set up the bios to boot from USB CD-Rom drive and inserted CD1 as advised on the little leaflet that came with the recoverymedia but nothing happens after it reads the CD?

Please can someone guide me on what I need to do to get my Lenovo Helix working? I only have basic knowledge of windows back when you only have to go into DOS and type setup to install its been many years!

Nick1

Does this apply to my Lenovo G580 laptop?

If yes, I have deleted everything from my HDD and installed Windows 7, which I must revert back to Windows 8 due to lots of errors. A friend of mine also has the same laptop with Windows 8 and the recovery partition. If they make a recovery drive for my computer, will it install Windows 8 back, so that I can have it to factory settings again or not?

jackl1

I've only recently purchased my H30-05 and would be interested in creating recovery media, BUT in a few weeks time I hope to use the FREE MS upgrade to Windows 10. I assume therefore that the 'recovery partiton' will be of no value to me as, if used, will revert me to Windows 8.1. Am I correct?

I'm new to this forum, old and don't know much. Hope I've done this correctly

logbovo
I have a LENOVO DVD /BLU-RAY BURNER THINKSTATION THAT I BOUGHT SOME TIME AGO AND I THOUGHT I WOULD BURN SOME FILMS TO A BLU-RAY DISC . I DESIDED TO LOAD 2 PROGRAMS FROM THE DISC COREL WIN DVD 10 (FOR WINDOWS 8 )AND DVD MOVIE FACTORY 7 ,AND NO MATTER WHAT I TRIED I COULDN'T LOAD EITHER PROGRAM TO THE COMPUTER WHICH IS A HP ENVY 700 PC AND IS LESS THAN 2 YEARS OLD .I AM LEFT WITH EITHER "THIS IS NOT A VALID LENOVO SYSTEM.SETUP WILL NOW ABORT " ,ALSO "THE PROGRAM DOES NOT SUPPORT YOUR CURRENT OPERATING SYSTEM.CLICK OK TO CANCEL THE INSTALLATION .OK." AND "NOTE:FROM THIS PAGE YOU CAN MANUALLY INSTALL APPLICATIONS SEPARATELY .CLICK THE SOFTWARE LINK FOR EACH APPLICATION YOU WANT TO INSTALL .THIS IS NOT A QUALIFIED LENOVO MACHINE " I HAVE CONTACTED LENOVO AT LEAST 4 TIMES TO TELL THEM OF THE PROBLEMS AND I HAVE TOLD THE DEALER I BOUGHT THE LENOVO BURNER FROM AS WELL AS THERE MAYBE A PROBLEM WITH THE LENOVO BURNER AND THE SUPPLIED SOFTWARE BUNDLE . LENOVO HAVE TOLD ME THAT I SENT THE E-MAILS TO THE WRONG DEPARTMENT AND I ASKED THEM TO SEND THE E-MAILS TO THE RIGHT DEPARTMENT BUT THEY SAID NO ,AS THEY ARE USING DIFFERENT SYSTEMS .I AM STILL WAITING TO HEAR FROM THE ONLINE DEALER I BOUGHT THE LENOVO BURNER FROM ,BUT SO FAR NO SIGN OF HELP . EITHER LENOVO ARE MANUFACTURING FUNNY GOODS AND SELLING THEM TO DEALERS AND MAYBE THE BUNDLED SOFTWARE IS A PIRATE COPY FROM LENOVO .I HAVE SPENT A SMALL FORTUNE IN BUYING THE BURNER AND HAVING IT INSTALLED AND I DON'T WANT TO USE IT IF THE BURNER OR THE COMPUTER COULD BE DAMAGED .IF LENOVO HELPS TO SORT THIS MESS OUT SOON, I WILL OF COURSE GIVE THEM FIVE THUMBS UP.
Contributors