Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shanerussell
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,193
Message 1 of 5

Data Recovery of data from laptop hard drives

1. Working laptop with a working hard drive ( I know this is the case as if you insert the drive into the laptop , power it on, it loads windows xp, you can use the laptop as per normal without any errors / issues etc )

We have an external hard drive kit ( again which I know that works as I use it to connect a multitude of other hard drives via USB to a desktop PC ) and I have another hard drive kit different to the first USB to SATA hard drive recovery kit and it does the same when trying to access the data off of the laptops hard drive

If I connect the laptop hard drive to my desktop PC it refuses to show up in my computer yet if you right click my computer --> Manage --> Disk Management

The drive shows up in here as un-initialised and if you attempt to initialise the drive it fails stating it has CRC error(s) and it will not assign it a drive letter.

Is there a quick way to access the data on the drive ?

As far as I am aware the drives are not encrypted as when loading after the POST from bios you do not get any blue / purple progress bars loading, these are Windows XP SP 3 so not using bit locker or anything like that.

What do I need to do to get access to the data as quick as possible without doing too many steps or waiting for utils to recover data etc.

Also what do Lenovo do to the hard drives that cause this many head aches ??

Ideasmiths
802.11n
Views: 4,185
Message 2 of 5

Re: Data Recovery of data from laptop hard drives

Am confused with your external kits part....

Anyway, I assume that you have a working lenovo laptop and a working desktop. You try to plug in the lenovo HDD into a USB drive kit and extract data from the desktop.

1) Is the lenovo HDD encrpted? Check the Bios and also if lenovo security software is installed.

2) The fastest way i do it nowadays is to connect both laptop and desktop to a network. Then share the disk drive(s) and extract data from either laptop or desktop. A second option is to remote access the laptop and extract the data.

3) Another possibility is that your laptop is XP, ie the formatting is not AHCI (check the bios under sata), it's in compatible mode. The desktop is using Vista or window 7?

shanerussell
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,182
Message 3 of 5

Laptop is Windows XP SP 3 32 bit

Desktop is Windows 7 enterprise 32 bit ( with SMB 2.0 Signing disabled ) - I am in the middle of using test disk just to do a deep search on the drive, I am not and will not make any changes to the MBR or anything else as still need to use the drive with the laptop but just wanted to see if test disk could shed any light on any adjustments being done to the drive layout etc.

I will check the other things you mentioned in regards to AHCI, security settings in the bios etc

Just in case anyone else finds this post

I went into the bios --> Security --> Password --> Hard Drive password was enabled and set to user ( there is another option for user and master ).

Disabled this option in regards to the hard drive password, saved this by pressing F10 and exited the bios until it prompted me for the startup bios password. Powered the laptop off, took the hard drive out and connected it to the desktop pc and it mounted the drive straight off the bat.

What I would like to know then is what does it change on the hard drive to stop you from mounting or accessing the data

Ideasmiths
802.11n
Views: 4,174
Message 4 of 5

Before doing a deep search, which cost time, my suggestion is to download HDTune pro (free trial for 30 days) and use it's SMART test to check the lenovo HDD. I have encountered your situation before, one of my external 2.5" drive kit which I plugged in a 100GB Hitachi drive from an old lenovo is fully working in terms of booting etc.

However, when plug to another PC, the same situation likes yours occured where only disk manager can recognize the disk but window would not show a valid parition or drive. The issue I found was the disk had failed internally on some of it's circuitry. Some SMART parameters failed when tested using the HDTune pro

Anyway, if there is not much data, free cloud services like sugarsync, dropbox or window skydrive is one way to so transfer if you have fast internet broadband.

Ideasmiths
802.11n
Views: 4,173
Message 5 of 5

Disabled this option in regards to the hard drive password, saved this by pressing F10 and exited the bios until it prompted me for the startup bios password. Powered the laptop off, took the hard drive out and connected it to the desktop pc and it mounted the drive straight off the bat.

What I would like to know then is what does it change on the hard drive to stop you from mounting or accessing the data

I haven't played with the build in security of lenovo for a few years, too much trouble. Basically I think the security chip build into each lenovo will modify certain fields on the harddisk chip. Hence the data are soft 'encrpted' this way. There is an official lenovo software that you can install on the desktop to simulate the security chip, so I guess the data is not hard 'encrpted', just scrambled. When you removed the user password, it probably reset those fields so there is no more scrambling when connected to the desktop

If you turn on security chip, lenovo client security solution, adminstrator password, master password and all those junk, then it will be a different story.

Glad that your problem is solved B-)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors