Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
supersalad
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,020
Message 1 of 17

Dead Pixel Agony

Hello Peeps,

I just received T520 package today and my excitement suddenly turned to grief when I saw a bright glowing red dot on my screen. OMG... a dead pixel right out of the box! Did I just drop my hard earned grand that I have been saving for months on something that would bug me for the rest of the products life?

I quickly searched Lenovo's dead pixel policy and almost fainted when I found out the unit has to have at least 3 dead pixels to be considered for replacement noooooooo...wahhhh....boohohoho..sob Smiley Sad 

Why did they ship out a unit with dead pixel??? I'm pretty sure it was NOT missed by QA because it glows like a laser beam in the dark and a dead pixel would not develop while in transit!

I'm going to contact Lenovo post sales tomorrow and really hoping something can be done. I know some of you will consider this as another guy who got a dead pixel rant, but man, when someone spend this amount of cash, and I'm not rich, I would at least expect to receive a non-defective product. Oh Lordy, I should have trusted my instinct and buy something of this value in a brick and mortar store. Hoping for the best but this night would not be a pleasant one.

Sigh,

Jason

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 16,976
Message 2 of 17

Re: Dead Pixel Agony

You just got it and you're not satisfied you can return it.
So return it.
The End
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Guru
Views: 16,942
Message 3 of 17

Return or exchange if you are not satisfied. Lenovo's dead pixel policy, while not perfect, is generally in-line with or better than other manufacturers. It is not Lenovo's fault that dead and stuck pixels have become the industry standard, the same way that 16:9 has been the display ratio standard. Since you have a "stuck pixel" (because it has color and isn't pure black) you might want to try one of the stuck pixel removal tools that exist.

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
supersalad
Fanfold Paper
Views: 16,919
Message 4 of 17

Update #1:

So I called Lenovo After Sales and was given a Case# so I can return the unit for a full refund. That process went smoothly so props for Lenovo on that regard. Since I got a boost of confidence with Lenovo's customer service and also I really liked how the T520 keyboard feels like in my brief experience with the product, I went ahead and ordered a new one, not waiting for the refund on my other card which I calculated would take at the minimum of two weeks. Crossing my fingers that I would get a dead/stuck pixel free display this time.

supersalad
Fanfold Paper
Views: 16,863
Message 5 of 17

Update #2:

I just realized I made a boo-boo on my RMA. When I called to return the laptop I thought the whole order will be cancelled. It turned out the case sleeve that I also ordered along with the laptop is not included in the RMA but I shipped it along the laptop in one box to Lenovo's return department. I called after sales support today and it looks like they will not be able to give me refund for the Case Sleeve that is already in their possesion because I did not follow the correct RMA procedures. Oh well, I just hope they don't send me another laptop with dead pixel in my new Order.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 16,857
Message 6 of 17

Live and learn.

Good thing you did not pack a carrying case either. LOL
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

nkull
SCSI Port
Views: 16,852
Message 7 of 17

Hope it works out for you ... I am the same way, if I get a machine that has a dead / stuck pixel, even ONE, I will return it.   There is no way I would drop over $1k like I do when I get new laptops and have to deal with such an annoying imperfection... I could really care less what policy is or whether or not it's Lenovo's fault, ... I would never deal with such an issue.    I am honestly surprised that many people accept this 3 pixel policy.

--- ThinkPad T61 / Win 7 / Core 2 / 4gb RAM / Nvidia / Still used daily --- ThinkPad Edge 15/ i5 / Win 7 / TrueCrypt / 8gb RAM / Hated it, died at 1 yr 1 mo old --- ThinkPad T510 / Win 7 / TrueCrypt / i5 / 8gb RAM / Nvidia / Current primary machine --- ThinkPad X220 / i7 / IPS / 4gb / TrueCrypt / My Road Machine
supersalad
Fanfold Paper
Views: 16,843
Message 8 of 17

I wish they would just sell laptops with dead pixels as "Class B" or put any indicator that the laptop has dead pixels in them and not market it as brand new with no defects. I'm also thinking of setting up a website to support this cause and I also need to put something on my web server Smiley Happy.  Any suggestions for a website name ?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 16,837
Message 9 of 17

Many machines that have clear screens develop stuck or dead pixels after a few days/weeks of use. That is just the nature of the technology.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
nkull
SCSI Port
Views: 16,833
Message 10 of 17

Nature of the technology does not make it an acceptable defect.. most of them do not exibit this behaviour and I would not consider it "normal"

--- ThinkPad T61 / Win 7 / Core 2 / 4gb RAM / Nvidia / Still used daily --- ThinkPad Edge 15/ i5 / Win 7 / TrueCrypt / 8gb RAM / Hated it, died at 1 yr 1 mo old --- ThinkPad T510 / Win 7 / TrueCrypt / i5 / 8gb RAM / Nvidia / Current primary machine --- ThinkPad X220 / i7 / IPS / 4gb / TrueCrypt / My Road Machine

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors