Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
itllgrowback
Paper Tape
Views: 1,048
Message 1 of 4

Deleted Recovery Partition tying to make Recovery Media - T450

Hi folks - I've just had a frustrating moment trying to make a Recovery Media set on my new T450.  I followed the prompts using Lenovo's "Factory Recovery Discs" program.  When prompted, I inserted a USB drive, expecting the program to tell me at some point what capacity was needed, but it never did.  So after only one or two quick optionless prompts, it began creating the media on the USB.  Quickly it stopped, and gave a message saying that the capacity of the drive was insufficient (while still not saying what size was necessary), and gave me only one option:  Delete Recovery Partition and restore drive to normal functionality - or something very close to that wording.  So I clicked OK, assuming it was referring to the USB drive - because why would a user want to delete the factory Recovery Partition at this point?  But that's exactly what it did.

So now I have no Recovery Partition (formerly the Q: drive), and I can't tell if that space is still allocated (but unavailable to me), but I suspect that's the case.  I've attached below, a screenshot of what I see in Drive Management now.

I'm frustrated that with one click on a poorly-worded message, in the process of creating Recovery Media, I was given the option (and only the option), to delete the Recovery Partition itself!  Mind-smoking. 

Any options for restoring that data, short of sending my new PC back to Newegg or Lenovo?  I suspect it's only logically deleted, (if I can phrase it that way).  It happened instantly with the click.  Any chance of "unhiding" that partition again?

thanks all

Drives.PNG

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,032
Message 2 of 4

Re: Deleted Recovery Partition tying to make Recovery Media - T450

If your machine is a new machine, under warranty, call the support center.

Explain what happened and they should send you a factory recovery DVD set, no charge.

The create product recovery media can be run only 1 time,then the option disappears on the machine.  This is due to liscensing agreement with Microsoft. 

The delete recovery partition screen is VERY poorly worded.

itllgrowback
Paper Tape
Views: 1,013
Message 3 of 4

OK, thanks.  I'll contact Lenovo for the physical media. 

In this case, then, I suspect the space on the HDD did get reallocated to the C: drive - what do you reckon? 

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,007
Message 4 of 4

It is separate parition.   Yes it is still there. You might find a utility somewhere to refind it,but that is alot of work and chance of error,which is not fun on a new machine.

I would make an IMAGE of your drive with windows backup and use that for your base level recovery 5 years from now. 

After you run hours of windows update and Lenovo System update, take another Image backup for base recovery.

You can still boot via PF11 into the Rescue and Recovery workspace. You just wont have the factory recovery option. Even if you still had the factory recovery partition, you would  never want to use it... ie, run windows update again.   Use windows IMAGE backup.    

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors