cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yinslaptop
Punch Card
Views: 12,538
Message 1 of 11

Disabling "CPU Power Management" through BIOS -- any bad consequences?

Ok, so my new T440S is emitting a most annoying high-pitched noise. After doing some research, I come to the conclusion that it is the so called CPU Whine.

According to the diagnostics provided on this page:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T510-T410-W510-ThinkPad-high-pitched-whine/...

Disabling CPU Power Management may silence the noise - as a diagnotic measure, not a solution (as the post asks the user to contact Lenovo support for assistance).

So I tried that and indeed it silences the annoying whine. I have already contacted Lenovo and they said they will get back to me after Christmas. Meanwhille, I am still using this computer, and I am keeping the setting for CPU Power Management Disabled, until Lenovo solves the noise problem.

I was wondering if this (keeping the CPU Power Management disabled) may have some bad consequences - like melting some parts down or something. Would anyone know?

Thanks!

WhyWouldYouCare
What's DOS?
Views: 12,363
Message 2 of 11

Re: Disabling "CPU Power Management" through BIOS -- any bad consequences?

Hi yinslaptop!

I have good news. I have the same problem. My T440s is completely quiet at 43 °C CPU so I don't need any fans to spin. However there is a slight buzz coming out of the middle of the laptop. And it isn't coming from the speakers nor the fan. I didn't bother to open it up yet and check what is causing that noise, but I guess it's related to some coil whine or voltage leakage. As in your case, when I turn off the CPU Power Management option in the BIOS, the sound dissapears completely.

HOWEVER I conicidentally put one SD Card Adapter into the Card Slot and the sound completely dissapeared. I would say give it a try. Sadly the sound comes back in 20 seconds at my machine, but I am using a Sd card adapter with no card in there. Maybe this will change when I put one in. Have to test, because I don't have one lying around.

Lenovo has done a great job. You could to better at this price range, especially when the pc market is shrinking .. it's survival of the fittest. You will see what I mean when you won't get foothold in US and Europe anymore and only will supply Asia.

You won't probably answer this thread and when you do "awww yes, we are deeply sorry, some level buzz is completely normal" CTRL+V bull**bleep**.

Don't get me wrong. I really like the new T440s as my first ThinkPad, but my high order of quality wasn't meet. However I still bought it, because I needed one laptop with really good battery life, good screen and small footprint. Well sorry for the rant.

Guru
Views: 12,352
Message 3 of 11

I heard having something run at minimum CPU usage in the background at all times helps mitigate the CPU whine. One example was playing a blank audio file on loop.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
yinslaptop
Punch Card
Views: 12,246
Message 4 of 11

I am sorry that I did not reply to your comment earlier. I guess I was just getting tired of trying to solve this effing problem. Sometimes when problems in life pop up one after another, you feel sick and tired and stop.

Anyway, in February, my machine was taken to their service centre in Singapore. They replaced the Motherboard.

Guess what happened?

You got it right - it did not make a difference!

I am too tired to want to attempt anything further, not after back and forth phone calls, long email exchanges, recording the noise for evidence, uploading onto youtube for them to see, making appointments for service, etc....

I was literally sick.

I just resolve never to buy any PC product again in future.

My Mac Pro is completely quiet. I wish I had invested the money in a Mac Air instead of this PC.

Moderator comment: Remark(s) contravening the Community Rules removed - profanity / implied profanity. Keep it clean.

thorsten_
Punch Card
Views: 12,176
Message 5 of 11

Hi, my laptop has the same problem.. one question: do you all have dedicated nvidia cards? Its just an assumption but it looks like that all people who notice this noise have an extra nvidia gpu.

yinslaptop
Punch Card
Views: 12,167
Message 6 of 11

Hi, I've seen you post this in (my) other threads about CPU whine. How does one find out if the machine has dedicated nvidia cards?

I got my motherboard replaced and it still whines; so I am resigned to it. Also, luckily, I feel less bothered by it.

But let me know anyway.

thorsten_
Punch Card
Views: 12,103
Message 7 of 11

Hi,

my quess with the nvidia card was wrong. But my motherboard was replaced today and the noise is now gone!

yinslaptop
Punch Card
Views: 12,093
Message 8 of 11

I also got my motherboard replaced. Initially, yes, the noise was also gone and I was ecstatic. However, after 1 day or 2, it came back (though it seemed fainter than before). So, I would say, keep monitoring the problem. I hope yours is gone forever. But do keep us updated if it comes back.

linch
Punch Card
Views: 11,948
Message 9 of 11

I've got my T440s yesterday, and I'm experiencing the same problem.

Did somebode allready found a solution?

Guru
Views: 11,935
Message 10 of 11

Disabling CPU Power Management is just disabling C1E. Don't worry about it. Power consumption during idle may be slightly higher.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors