Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vicroberts
Fanfold Paper
Views: 599
Message 1 of 16

Display Port Not working Properly with T460 and Ultra Dock

I have a T460 with Windows 10 Pro. It is normally docked in an Ultra Dock. I have an external 4K monitor connected to the Display Port on the Ultra Dock. A week or so ago the display suddenly changed to vertical lines in strange colors. I have determined that the problem is not the cable or the monitor.

I changed the DP cable, and the problem remained.

When I connect the monitor directly to the mini DP on the T460 it works correctly. This seems to exclude the monitor, the display drivers and the DP driver in the T460

When I connect the monitor to the HDMI connector on the T460 it works correctly. This seems to exclude the monitor, the display drivers and the HDMI driver in the T460.

When I connect the monitor to the HDMI connector on the Ultra Dock it works correctly most of the time, but I see occasional flashed of the vertical lines.

When I tried a replacement Ultra Dock with the DP connector, the problem remained, but the connection between the T460 and the Ultra Dock was not secure. I returned the second Ultra Dock.

All this seems to point to something in the T460 after the DP hardware but before the connector to the Ultra Dock. 

Has anyone else seen this problem?

aUserHasNoName
802.11n
Views: 541
Message 2 of 16

Re: Display Port Not working Properly with T460 and Ultra Dock

Are both DP ports on the Ultra Dock affected?  It might be some bandwidth issue, caused by bad electrical connection.

Maybe the t460's docking plug is damaged or coming loose?

I assume you've set resolution to 4k@60Hz when using a  DP port. What happens if you change the resolution to  4k @30Hz or an even smaller resolution like 2560x1440@60Hz?  Do you still see the vertical lines?

@vicroberts

When I tried a replacement Ultra Dock with the DP connector, the problem remained, but the connection between the T460 and the Ultra Dock was not secure. I returned the second Ultra Dock.

The build quality regarding correct alignment of the docking port is quite bad on the t460[ps] systems. So it seems you need to apply more force to get the system docked properly. 

vicroberts
Fanfold Paper
Views: 525
Message 3 of 16

@aUserHasNoName wrote:

Are both DP ports on the Ultra Dock affected?  It might be some bandwidth issue, caused by bad electrical connection.

I assume you've set resolution to 4k@60Hz when using a  DP port. What happens if you change the resolution to  4k @30Hz or an even smaller resolution like 2560x1440@60Hz?  Do you still see the vertical lines?

@vicroberts

The build quality regarding correct alignment of the docking port is quite bad on the t460[ps] systems. So it seems you need to apply more force to get the system docked properly. 

Thank you for the reply.

I did test lower resolution, 2560x1440@60Hz, but the problem remained. I have not tested the other DP port, but I have a replacement dock arriving today, so that should tell me if the dock is at fault.

BTW - my current dock was purchased in mid-2016 with mt T460 and the connection is secure. Last week I purchaed a first replacement dock and the connection was terrible.  I sent that dock back.  I am hoping the dock that is arriving today will fit better.

vicroberts
Fanfold Paper
Views: 512
Message 4 of 16

@vicroberts wrote:

@aUserHasNoName wrote:

@vicroberts

Thank you for the reply.

I did test lower resolution, 2560x1440@60Hz, but the problem remained. I have not tested the other DP port, but I have a replacement dock arriving today, so that should tell me if the dock is at fault.

BTW - my current dock was purchased in mid-2016 with mt T460 and the connection is secure. Last week I purchaed a first replacement dock and the connection was terrible.  I sent that dock back.  I am hoping the dock that is arriving today will fit better.

Here is some additional information.

The DP display problem remains the same wth the new dock.  Since the issue shows up with three Ultra Dopcks the issue must be in the T460.

Here is another strange thing.  The red Lenoco logo shows up correctly, as does the Windows logo and the "spinner" during Windows start-up. The problem only appears when Windows has completed its startup routine and displays my login screen.

aUserHasNoName
802.11n
Views: 505
Message 5 of 16

@vicroberts wrote: 

The DP display problem remains the same wth the new dock.  Since the issue shows up with three Ultra Dopcks the issue must be in the T460.

So this happens on both DP ports? 

@vicroberts

Here is another strange thing.  The red Lenoco logo shows up correctly, as does the Windows logo and the "spinner" during Windows start-up. The problem only appears when Windows has completed its startup routine and displays my login screen.

yes that's strange, this could be some driver issue or  signal issues with greater resolutions.

So what happens if you select an even lower desktop resolution like 1920x1080 , 1600x900 or 1280x720 ?

vicroberts
Fanfold Paper
Views: 478
Message 6 of 16

I did not try those lower resolutions, but I did get to use another T460 today with the dock.  The display works perfectly with the second T460, using the DP port on the same dock, with the same cable and same display, This confirms the problem is in my T460. The machine will be going back for warranty repair. 

vicroberts
Fanfold Paper
Views: 435
Message 7 of 16

Well, I finally found and fixed the problem. But first, a bit of the debugging history.

After testing two more Ultra Docks with my T460, I had come to the conclusion that my dock connector was bad. Not wanting to be without the computer while mine was in for repair, I purchased another identical T460 (T460 #2) on eBay. When that arrive it worked perfectly in the dock with the 4K display, which seemed to confirm the problem was in my original T460 (T460 #1).

I then swapped the hard drives, so my data would be on T460 #2 while T460 #1 was in the shop.   Much to my surprise, the problem followed the hard drive. That is, now T460 #1 worked perfectly, but T460 #2 did not. So, this was not a hardware problem at all, but a software problem!   I poured over the settings and drivers on both machines and the only difference I could see was that the T460 with the display problem had a newer version of the Intel 520 display driver than the T460 that did not have a problem.  

The drivers on the Intel site would not install since the ThinkPads use custom versions of the drivers. I went back to the Lenovo site but could not find the older driver.  Out of desperation, and because the notes on the Lenovo site said that reinstalling the display driver MIGHT fix problems, I forced a reinstall of the same 520 display driver that I had. And, bingo, the problem is gone!!!

So, one T460 and two Ultra Docks later, this was never a hardware problem, but a corrupt display driver.

vicroberts
Fanfold Paper
Views: 420
Message 8 of 16

I seem to have spoken too soon.  A few hours after I reinstalled the 520 display driver, the problem returned.  I now believe the driver has a bug and will contact tech support. For the record, the version of the 520 driver that has this problem is 25.20.100.6472.  The driver in the other T460 that seems to work properly is 23.20.16.4973.

brase
Paper Tape
Views: 323
Message 9 of 16

To solve it you can install the intel uhd grafics driver for the new thinkpad T490:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/de/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-T-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

This has worked for me.

vicroberts
Fanfold Paper
Views: 314
Message 10 of 16

This driver did NOT work with my T460 and the Ultradock.  After installation I had to roll the driver back to the version I was using, which was 22.xxx

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors