Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
panzerjeffrey
Token Ring
Views: 68,125
Message 1 of 15

Display Port --> HDMI - no sound

I have connected my t410 to my HD TV using a DP->HDMI adapter, but the TV has no sound. do you think this is a problem with my computer, which when connected says that HDMI sound is on and all the way up, my DP connection, the adapter i am using, or my TV?
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 68,005
Message 2 of 15

Re: Display Port --> HDMI - no sound

Hi panzerjeffrey!

Check this thread, and search for others on the same subject:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T410-T510-DisplayPort-features-audio/td-p/1...

Hope this helps!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
panzerjeffrey
Token Ring
Views: 67,959
Message 3 of 15

thats a really old thread though.... i'm pretty sure that the DP on my t410, which is about 2 mo old, has sound-- it has a level/mute for HDMI when the DP is connected to the HDMI adapter-TV
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 67,948
Message 4 of 15

Hello panerjeffrey,

please read the mentioned post carefully.

Then you´ll ackknowledge, the DP has sound, but you´ll need a connector cable of good quality.

Like this one.

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T430s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Peoples-2
Punch Card
Views: 67,795
Message 5 of 15

First go to your audio settings by going FN + F6, choose "Audio Defaults + Settings". Then choose your TV as the default audio.

Now the sneaky part. Push FN + F7 and choose "Projector Only", then sound will come out of the TV. Took me forever to figure out.

awjc11
Punch Card
Views: 67,781
Message 6 of 15

Well..  I bought a cheap DP to HDMI connector on ebay for $8.95 including free shipping.  It works flawlessly on my T510 with sound on my LCD TV.

panzerjeffrey
Token Ring
Views: 67,395
Message 7 of 15

[quote="peoples2"]First go to your audio settings by going FN + F6, choose "Audio Defaults + Settings". Then choose your TV as the default audio.[/quote] this is all that needed to be done, setting the tv as default thx
Tata
What's DOS?
Views: 66,216
Message 8 of 15

I have the same issue and i followed your instruction. However, Once i went to "Audio Defaults + Settings", I saw only speaker as an option. There is no TV there. Could you pls advice?

Thank you

tbarton
What's DOS?
Views: 66,066
Message 9 of 15

I'm running a W510 and I went to Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Audio Tab > Sound Playback and selected "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" for the default device and the audio now comes out of the speakers on my Panasonic TV.

normu
Paper Tape
Views: 63,715
Message 10 of 15

Re: Display Port --> HDMI - no sound SOLVED

I have a Thinkpad W520 and I bought a displayport to HDMI dongle and was able to get video but no audio on my TV. I went to control panel and it did not see any hdmi sound device installed. This same displayport to HDMI dongle when used on my friend's Dell Laptop (which also has a dsiplayport and no HDMI out) provides both video and audio on his TV.

I recently bought the Lenovo recommended SIIG displayport to HDMI dongle and I now get both video and audio to my TV. It fact it even defaulted to the HDMI sound so I didn't need to go to control panel > sound to manually set it up

So there are dongles and other dongles and they aren't all compatible witht the lenovo laptops. below are the lnks for the SIIG dongles $30  that seem to work

http://www.siig.com/displayport-to-hdmi-adapter.html

or from lenovo

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors