Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 7 (39,881 Views)

Display brightness "Stuck" in windows 7

Hi all,

So, I installed windows 7 64bit on my T500 last night. I've downloaded the win 7 version of  the thinkvantage system update software and installed everything, powermanager and all. 

The problem:

When i am in High performance graphics mode, the display brightness doesn't change... ever. Function keys don't work, the power management slider doesn't work. It is very frustrating to say the least.

My work around: (this is annoying but works)

When in low graphics mode, the function keys DO work. I can change the brightness and then switch back to high performance graphics. It's really bizarre! 

Does anyone know why this would be happening? I've got all the latest drivers from system update & tried reinstalling the hot key drivers with no luck. I've played with every power setting i can think of, nothing seems to change the screen brightness on high performance graphics.

Suggestions welcome Smiley Happy

~ sierra42 ~
HP TC4400
Lenovo T500
-- I am not support, I'm just trying to help! --
Fanfold Paper
Message 2 of 7 (39,838 Views)

Re: Display brightness "Stuck" in windows 7

Related post: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-7-Discussion/Brightness-unadjustable-for-quot-High-Performance-q...

[Quote]

A link to the 3.09/3.10 version of BIOS is given below. Good luck. This is the version I used.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-70351

[End Quote]

T500 BIOS Update: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-70353

~ sierra42 ~
HP TC4400
Lenovo T500
-- I am not support, I'm just trying to help! --
Highlighted
Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 7 (39,437 Views)

Updating the BIOS did not work for me.  What did work was installing the latest version of the Switchable Graphics Driver (version 8.641.1.1-090824a-089811C) which was released on 10/13/09. 

Here is a link to the driver: 

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-73641

In the "Summary of Changes" section, Lenovo notes:

Fix)  Fixed an issue where the LCD brightness could not be changed when the graphics mode was set to high performance on starting the computer.

Punch Card
Message 4 of 7 (39,171 Views)

I upgraded to Windows 7 Professional last night/this morning and encountered two problems.  The first was that the ATI FireGL V5700 graphics card did not load (as noted in Device Manager).  I installed the 7vd611ww and Win7 Power Management drivers and the ATI FireGL V5700 graphics card was now recognized and functional.  However, the brightness adjustment was not working.  I aleady had the latest BIOS installed on my W500 so I downloaded and installed the 7vd614ww graphics driver.  Now the brightness control for my W500 is working normally.

I have no other apparent issues and the Windows 7 upgrade went rather smoothly. 

What's DOS?
Message 5 of 7 (38,987 Views)

Updating the BIOS did the trick for me.  Took about 10 minutes and worked like a charm.  Thanks Sierra42.

Nate C.

What's DOS?
Message 6 of 7 (36,631 Views)

Thank you for your post, I've solved the same problem.

What's DOS?
Message 7 of 7 (8,694 Views)

[ Edited ]

Same issue on a T520 running Win7.

Hadn't shut Win7 down in a long time, using suspend and hibernate instead.

An actual reboot solved the issue.

Additional info: Brighness was controllable in POST, BIOS and Win7 boot/resume loading screen, but went to min as soon as resume was complete. Booting to a live OS on a USB FDD also yielded a controllable brightness level.

Top kudoed Authors