08-09-2011

United States

6 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 1 of 6

DisplayPort doesn't work on Basic Docking Station 40AG

2018-06-14, 19:58 PM

I have a ThinkPad T480s and a Basic Docking Station (40AG0090US). 

Connecting a monitor via the Displayport on the docking station does not work. The monitor is simply not detected.

Connecting via the HDMI port on the laptop does work, and so does connecting via the VGA port on the docking station.

I've also tested to make sure the cable is working with a different system.

Please advice. 

Thank you.

Solved! See the solution
Options

7704 Posts

01-13-2008

US

76822 Signins

2152508 Page Views

• Views: 2152508
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: DisplayPort doesn't work on Basic Docking Station 40AG

2018-06-14, 20:15 PM

Are you going direct DP to DP or via a DP -> HDMI adapter.

I've had a similar issue with the 40AG when using a DP -> HDMI adapter.  It did work with a native DP monitor and no adapter.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

3 Posts

08-09-2011

United States

6 Signins

19 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2018-06-14, 20:17 PM
I have a DP-to-HDMI cable.
Options

1 Posts

06-16-2018

US

19 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 4 of 6

2018-06-16, 13:11 PM

For the basic dock, you need an "active" converter, so not every dongle will work. 

https://www.startech.com/faq/displayport_converter_dp_multi_mode

For the other two dock types, pro and ultra, you can use the passive type of dongle. 

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

09-22-2016

US

4 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22
  • Message 5 of 6

2018-07-01, 14:45 PM

On the Basic Docking Station, the Displayport is set for the "passive" DP protocol, rather than the "active" protocol call P++.  What this means is that if you had a monitor with a Displayport, and were using a DP=>DP cable to a monitor with a DP port, all would be fine -- but if you need to go from DP at the dock to HDMI on the monitor, a cable is not sufficient. To output to an HDMI monitor, you'll need an "active" Displayport adapter, a boondoggle that costs about $15.  That will convert the DP to a female HDMI, and then you use an HDMI=>HDMI cable to connect from the adapter to the monitor.

This rather important fact doesn't seem to be documented at Lenovo.com or in the minimalist paperwork packaged with the dock, nor is a DP active adapter an accessory you'll be offered by Lenovo when you buy with the dock.  I called Lenovo for support three times and none of the techies ever told me this. I had to stumble on it by myself. Frustrating.  

Now running T480s successfully on Basic Dock, DiplayPort to active coverter to HDMI=>HDMI cable, to monitor.

Options

1 Posts

03-05-2019

US

1 Signins

19 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2019-03-05, 18:50 PM

Thank you so much for your guidance.  I did all of these actions, I've confirmed my firmware is up to date for my docking station (a Thinkpad Pro 40AH0135US using a Thinkpad T480).  I have used an active displayport to HDMI adapter exactly as you described.  Still the docking station and my monitors won't work together for video output.  It does work for the USB ports--my wireless mouse and keyboard are talking to the docking station just fine via the USB ports on the dock.  The monitors and the laptop work together when directly plugged not using the dock and instead using the HDMI port on the laptop.  I am very frustrated that you need a network admin to make the model-specified Lenovo docking station work with their own laptop for video output.  Thank you for any further help!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save