Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpbrede
Punch Card
Views: 14,774
Message 1 of 12

Displayport - how to use this?

I have a T500 with a displayport and I cna't figur eout how to attach a screen or projector to this.

Is there any links to articles on this? Someone told me I need a special screen that has a Displayport input and that there are no adaptors to screens with DVI interfaces. Is this correct?

I'm looking at the following requirements and how to meet them.

1. Attach my laptop to a projector for presentations.

2. Attach my laptop to a new screen with a DVI input.

3. Attach my laptop to my HDTV....

Thanks for any help.

creative3000
Paper Tape
Views: 14,737
Message 2 of 12

Re: Displayport - how to use this?

What type of port do you have on the notebook? VGA?

Moskito
Punch Card
Views: 14,733
Message 3 of 12

Displayport ist compatible with DVI and there are simple adapters available for that. Just look for a Displayport to DVI adapter.

For example:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=38&Code=45J7915&current-category-id=4C362FDC3E37425F8CB97AB7A4802CDD&&hide_menu_area=yes

As for your HDTV, that depends on the input. If it's HDMI then you'll need a Displayport->HDMI adapter, too. (Displayport is also compatible with HDMI and supports HDCP.)

nonfiction
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 14,718
Message 4 of 12

You can get a cable with display port on one end and either HDMI or DVI on the other end. Note that your thinkpad will not provide audio thru that cable, even if you connect to HDMI.

There are some inexpensive cables available via Ebay.

mpbrede
Punch Card
Views: 14,459
Message 5 of 12

Hi guys, thanks for all the helpful replies.  I need a bit more help now.

Is there a way that I can take the displayport output and route it to something wireless and then have a wireless receiver near the TV to pick up the signal? I don't feel like running a 20ft cable through my living room from the laptop to the TV is the answer that is going t oplease my wife.  Smiley Happy

mpbrede
Punch Card
Views: 14,354
Message 6 of 12

This is getting more and more confusing. I cannot figure out what good the DisplayPort on my T500 is. I can't find any device whatsoever that will work with it. Everything seems to need an adapter to convert the signal to something else.

I tried looking into DisplayPort -> HDMI, but found the following warning:

While DisplayPort connectors are capable of passing an HDMI signal, DisplayPort and HDMI signals are basically different and not compatible with each other.  In order for this cable to function properly, you must have a DisplayPort source device capable of producing and passing out an HDMI signal through the DisplayPort jack.

What on earth will connect to the DisplayPort in native mode? Why is it on my laptop if it is not usable?

cassio
Token Ring
Views: 14,335
Message 7 of 12

there are monitors with displayport ports that you can just plug in and use

----------------------------
T400s - 2815RW1 + Win7 Ultimate Smiley Very Happy
Don't pm me for help! That's what the forum is for. Also, Google's nicer than me. Ask him.
tmoose
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 14,268
Message 8 of 12

I just bought a DisplayPort -> HDMI cable (simple cable with different plugs on each end - about $15 on eBay) and plugged it into my HTDV which has an HDMI port (it's a cheap Costco Vizio TV).  The display shows up perfectly, then I just had to route the audio from the headphone jack to the receiver and it's all working.   I admit it's lame that the DisplayPort/HDMI interface doesn't include audio, but that's what worked for me. 

mousy
Paper Tape
Views: 14,235
Message 9 of 12

hmmm it's great to hear that there is a solution. I didn't think that the TV will accept signal form two sources: HDMI and a sound jack.

jeremy1
Paper Tape
Views: 13,319
Message 10 of 12

I have trouble getting audio signal to the HDTV. Could you please let me know how you route the audio signal to TV while using displayport to HDMI for video? apprantly my TV does not want to receive audio and video signals from two different sources.

Thanks,

zhirun

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors