cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
XThinkpadUser
Token Ring
Views: 17,426
Message 1 of 14

Does the T430 have a caps lock indicator?

I got the X230t and I'm returning it due to numerous build quality issues (a mod has buried my post on the topic), and I'm considering getting a T430 instead.

One of the things I don't like on the X230t is that there's no way to tell when caps lock is on or off. They removed the LED from the screen, but didn't put one in on the new Chiclet keyboard. Is this the same situation with the T430?

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 17,413
Message 2 of 14

Re: Does the T430 have a caps lock indicator?

i think the new ThinkPad uses an onscreen indicator for the cap lock now. At least i haven't seen one when i tested a demo unit. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
XThinkpadUser
Token Ring
Views: 17,398
Message 3 of 14

Yikes, not very Linux-friendly if it's a purely software solution. And who wants screen real estate taken up by an always-on indicator?

Views: 17,394
Message 4 of 14

not always on.
Regards,

Jin Li

CorkyG
802.11n
Views: 17,356
Message 5 of 14

They should have stayed with the keyboard LEDs a la T60/61. 

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 17,349
Message 6 of 14

@lead_org wrote:

I think the new ThinkPad uses an onscreen indicator for the cap lock now. At least I haven't seen one when I tested a demo unit. 

Yes they do use onscreen on the T520. One of my must have's was LED's since a year before I was amazed and as the English would say "Gobsmacked" that the was not an single indicator LED on the ThinkPad Idea I bought for my daughter. No HD, Charging status, Caps, Num Lock, WiFi etc. I was as if it was suppose be a MAC. When I work on it I can tell what its doing with a HD LED.

The T series does at least have HD, Wifi, Bluetooth and charging status LED's.  Power LED with Mute Mic & Speaker as a nice touch. But no Num or Caps Lock. Those I can live without but why do away with them and have the symbol starring at me on the screen. In looking for verify I found myself going to great lengths and downloading the owners manuals and looking threw them to see what the had. It should be in the spec's in a detailed PDF brochure. That's how it used to be years ago. Now it seems its on a need to know basis. That's not right.

I want to see my LED's as I also want my ethernet RJ45 (New Mac books dumped ethernet. LOL).

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Views: 17,338
Message 7 of 14

i like the T410, T420 keyboard's cap lock LED status, they should have kept it.
Regards,

Jin Li

mixz1
Broadband 3G
Views: 17,336
Message 8 of 14

My 4239 T520 which I am using to type this has a green LED in the Caps Lock key which illuminates when Caps Lock is on. NumLock, on the other hand, has a momentary on-screen indicator in the lower right corner. I seem to recall that the on-screen time can be controlled by a registry tweak.
tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 17,321
Message 9 of 14

Right I missed that one. Ok NumLock has a light but all computers should maintain the LED's they've gotten so small they escially micro chips on the board lighting up. so why not have them on all the systems.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

XThinkpadUser
Token Ring
Views: 17,309
Message 10 of 14

@tripplec wrote:
Right I missed that one. Ok NumLock has a light but all computers should maintain the LED's they've gotten so small they escially micro chips on the board lighting up. so why not have them on all the systems.

I think they're copying Apple. Everything they do seems to make their computers simpler and more Mac-like. Lenovo seems to subscribe to this minimalist design ethos now, but they don't understand what they're doing.

For example, the X230t now has a magnetic lid, but they designed it so poorly that you can't open the laptop with one hand anymore! You need to hold the base with one hand and open the lid with the other. If you don't, the entire laptop rotates into the air, and you have to jiggle it to get the screen open.

Same with the keyboard. They've stripped out so many useful keys for PC users, and they've done moronic things like replace the Menu key with the Print Screen key! (The key between the right Alt and Ctrl. As if you're going to push Print Screen all the time.) Why? They don't know what they're doing. But it looks more Mac-like, and it's cheaper to make, so they keep it.

They've been steadily removing LEDs for years, too. The X60t had more than my X201t, which has way more than the X230t. The X230t doesn't even tell you when you're plugged in and charging. No num lock or caps lock LEDs either.

You can read my full list of pros and cons on the X230t here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/X230t-first-impressions-Fail-Build-qual...

Unfortunately, a mod censored my post by merging it into an unrelated thread in an attempt to bury it. He even admitted to doing it because he doesn't like my opinions and user name. I messaged the other mods and an admin, but it seems no one cares.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors