Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
T580CTO
Paper Tape
Views: 525
Message 1 of 4

Don't update T580 with Fibocom L850-GL to Win10 1903 May Update

This describes my experience with a T580 (20L9CTO1WW) which has the above Fibocom WWAN adaptor.

Everything was fine on Win 10 1809. But after the Win system updater prompted me to update to version 1903 the adaptor is no longer functional.

In Device Manager it is no longer listed under Network Adaptors but now appears under System Devices as "Intel XMM7360-P'. That is the internal LTE chipset which suggests the card is still functional but not being correctly recognised by Windows.

Yesterday, I spent around 2 hours with escalated Lenovo Tech Support trying to resolve this to no avail. We tried the following:

• updating to the latest firmware/driver package (https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/nz3wj21w.exe)
  • uninstalling and reinstalling all drivers
  • forcing install of Lenovo drivers
  • rolling back to Win 10 1809
  • rolling back to previous firmware/drivers
  • physically removing and reinstalling the card

So it seems there is a compatibility issue that will have to be resolved. Hopefully the next iteration of drivers/Windows updates can fix this.

In the meantime, I would suggest anyone with a similar hardware setup not accept the 1903 May Update if offered. As Tech Support's final suggestion was to do a completely fresh install of (1809) Win 10 - somewhat undesirable for a lone driver incompatiblity.

Alternatively, if anyone has successfully updated, please let me know and consider sharing your driver configuration. Or if anyone has any ideas on how to resolve this, please share.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 411
Message 2 of 4

Re: Don't update T580 with Fibocom L850-GL to Win10 1903 May Update

Hi T580CTO, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

I have similar hardware in an X1C6, uses the same drivers, and have no problem with 1903. One thing I didn't see in your list was emergency reset - did you try that?

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
T580CTO
Paper Tape
Views: 352
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the suggestion.

I forgot to add factory resetting BIOS and enabling/disabling WWAN in BIOS to the above list (it's already long enough!)

FWIW I tried that emergency reset (learning a new thing as I didn't even know that button existed!). Unfortunately still no luck.

There are some potentially useful messages in the event log along the lines of " [device] not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match". Will raise a support ticket and see if Lenovo can fix things their end.

viperphi
What's DOS?
Views: 161
Message 4 of 4

I work for a large municipality and we have a ton of T480s laptops equipped with these faulty Fibocom cards. You have about a 30% chance of not surviving a firmware update on them. They are horrible cards. Lenovo isn't taking responsibility for the issue other than replacing them as they die... With the same faulty card. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors