Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kiraes
What's DOS?
Views: 1,535
Message 1 of 4

Driver Power State Failure - Win 8 doesn't boot after using system update

Hello Lenovo Community, I've been having some issues on my Thinkpad T440p which now is unable to boot to Windows.

Before you read further, I should note that this is not the OEM version of Windows 8.1 that came with my laptop, but rather, a student version of Windows 8.1 that I downloaded from my university website, after discovering with my experiments that my Linux distribution would not actually be fully compatible with the laptop's hardware. As a result, I should note that a few changes had to be made prior to this installation, namely that is uses Legacy Boot now, if this is relevant.

After installing Windows 8.1 again through my university's website, I proceeded to download the Lenovo System Update program so that I could mass update my drivers. On the last driver to be installed (sadly, I cannot remember which one, there were about 13 packages), it had suddenly crashed with a blue screen reading DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. Upon booting up after this, it reached a black screen with no cursor, that stayed there for a few minutes until it reached the blue screen again. At the current moment, booting Windows 8 is not possible.

I am right now in the middle of re-downloading the Windows 8.1 ISO so I can burn it to a disc and try to re-install it on my T440p. Until then though, this laptop is as good as a brick. In the mean time, is there any way I might be able to fix this thing?

kiraes
What's DOS?
Views: 1,533
Message 2 of 4

Re: Driver Power State Failure - Win 8 doesn't boot after using system update

Quick little update. This time it's booting up, but crashing at random points, like right when I'm logging in.
blub
Punch Card
Views: 1,492
Message 3 of 4

Same here on a T440p. Installed Systemupdate, updated/installed the Lenovo drivers and tools - either doesn't boot or freezes after login.

I am running Win 8.1 and a Samsung EVO 840 SSD 256GB.

Anyone from support on this?

blub
Punch Card
Views: 1,475
Message 4 of 4

Hi

Ok here are the solution for everyone:

If you have the Nvidia card it is most likely the Nvidia driver provided by Lenovo - take the one from Nvidia HP and you are good.

If that doesn't solve your problem or you don't have the Nvidia card it may be the Intel Rapid Storage Driver - again: take the one from Intel HP.

If that isn't it - unlikely - Install everything despite Intel's Software via Systemupdate and then install all the Intel and Nvidia  driver stuff  (all of it) from the manufactorer HP.

If that doesn't do the job you probably have a HW defect.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors