Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Macgyver
Paper Tape
Views: 1,455
Message 1 of 9

EZServe Nightmare

A little background:  I'm an avid THinkpad User, I've owned a T43 and my work computer is a T61P.  When the new t400's came out, I thought that this would be an excellent time to upgrade my system.  So, I bought a rocking T400 laptop with the 256 MB videocard, 3GB of RAM, the works.  When it came in, I was dismayed to see that there 10-15 dead pixels dead center of the screen.  I called Lenovo support, they recommended that I send the entire computer back, and order a new one, and they would return my purchase price in 1-2 weeks.  So, this "replacement" is essentially at my own cost and will be another month in shipping.  After a few more calls to support, they recommended that I instead get the LCD replaced, which should take no more than a week.  So, I opted for that.

AND NOW IT IS SITTING IN LENOVO'S WAREHOUSE UNDER PARTS HOLD FOR A SYSTEM BOARD FOR 3 WEEKS.

Turns out, they are waiting on a SYSTEM BOARD, to be specific the VIDEO CARD. When the problem was with the LCD.  Replace the LCD, and the system should be fine, unless of course some ham-fisted tech decided to plug in the connector wrong and fry the card. Now I have to wait for a new part to get shipped from CHINA before my $1500 machine finds it's way back to me.  I wonder how much ATI Mobility Radeon 3470's go for on the grey market these days? 

Truly, if this is the kind of service and support I'm going to get from Lenovo, where a simple LCD replacement gets upgraded to a system board replacement which causes me to wait so long that I might as well have returned the thing to CHINA, I'm gonna walk.  I'm gonna walk to Dell, or to HP, or to another laptop manufacturer.  If my laptop comes back in anything less than pristine condition from it's time at Bubba's Repair Shop, it's going back to the factory and dude, I'm buying a Dell.

Mike

Yes, I'm venting.

Guru
Views: 1,435
Message 2 of 9

Re: EZServe Nightmare

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, and hopefully someone from Lenovo will contact you to get this corrected...

Just as an FYI: GPU can't be removed from the system board, and sold on the gray market...not on a ThinkPad, or most other laptops for that fact. They're soldered to the motherboard, and completely useless once removed.

Have you escalated the issue to a supervisor? You have the right to do that after 7 business days.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Macgyver
Paper Tape
Views: 1,432
Message 3 of 9

In my haste to be a jerk and a bona fide pain in the butt, I neglected to mention that I did in fact escalate the issue.  However, I don't see the point of excalation, since no amount of escalation will get the pilot/captain that is transporting the needed part to put the hammer down. Unless they have 'escalation only' parts in stock of course.  Do they?

Mike

Guru
Views: 1,407
Message 4 of 9

Escalating the repair process brings your case "up", shall we say, and all resources (including field units for on-site replacement) are searched through in the process of obtaining the correct part.

I went through something like this myself when the planar on my T43p was being replaced two month ago, and understand that you're not having fun. If you get a person who knows what they're doing and is willing to keep you updated, keep on top of them.

Good luck and keep us posted. 

Cheers,

George

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Macgyver
Paper Tape
Views: 1,370
Message 5 of 9

OK.  New update:

Apparently my escalation yesterday didn't 'stick', so I'll be escalating again. 

Ridiculous.

Mike

Guru
Views: 1,356
Message 6 of 9

Have you spoken to a supervisor?
Cheers,

George

Macgyver
Paper Tape
Views: 1,328
Message 7 of 9

A Lenovo Supervisor contacted me this morning regarding my case.  He's taken a look at the full history of the machine, and has decided that since it barely 21 days old, he's going to have Lenovo send out a replacement instead of waiting on the part.

So, now I'm waiting on a phone call from Lenovo and we're back full circle again. 

Mike

Macgyver
Paper Tape
Views: 1,300
Message 8 of 9

Apparently my Lenovo supervisor was actually an IBM EZServe supervisor.  WHOOPS.

OK, so NOW Lenovo has called me regarding the matter.  He has zero information on what's been going on, so I explained to him how the system was to be repaired, how it hasn't been, and how it is basically sitting in the repair depot.  I've told him I want either my computer repaired, which does not look good, or replaced, which doesn't look good either.

He's doing some research on how best to handle the replacement.  I'd like to point out too that the model I ordered has been out of my hands so long that Lenovo now has better configurations for cheaper available.  

I'm so frustrated I want to scream.

Mike

wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,284
Message 9 of 9

if things don't work out this time, give Mark_Lenovo a private message and see whether he can lend a hand for you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors