cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Views: 70,194

Question

How do I enable Intel MyFi technology on Win 7 / Win 10? It does not look like it has been installed.

Answer

(Windows 7 only - For Win 10, please refer to steps below).

In order to have this feature, you must ensure that you have an Intel Wireless Card and ensure that you have the Intel PROSet/Wireless driver installed.  Early versions of the UI at the time this article was initially compiled from the original discussion below, followed by updated instructions and UI view from 2014.

Original Instructions (valid for earlier versions)

1. Click Start
  2. Click Control Panel
  3. Click Programs and Features
  4. Select Intel PROSet/Wirelss WiFi Software
  5. Click Change
  6. Then Click Next
  7. Select the "X" on Intel My Wifi Technology
  8. Then Select "This feature, and all subfeatures, will be installed on local hard drive".
  9. Then Press Next
  10. Once the driver has been installed, reboot the laptop
  11. Then test the Intel My WiFi.

My Wifi.JPG

Updated to reflect revised instructions and current UI in 2014

1. Click Start
  2. Click Control Panel
  3. Click Programs and Features
  4. Select Intel PROSet/Wirelss WiFi Software
  5. Right Click on it and select Change
  6. Then Click Modify
  7. Check the box beside Wireless Software Extensions
  8. Then Click Modify
  9. Then Press Finish once completed

Proset Wifi setup.png

(Windows 10 - Steps on using laptop as a hotspot below)

Steps provided below is taken from Legion Y530 equiped with Intel Wireless AC 9560.

1. Firstly ensure that you are connected to the Internet either wirelessly or via LAN connection.
  2. Click on the "Wifi" icon on the notification bar on the lower right side of the screen. 
  3. Hover your mouse on top of the "Mobile Hotspot" and right click to go to settings.
    Wifi.JPG

4. You may configure the Network name and password via clicking "Edit". Else if you are fine with the default Windows configured Network name and password then you can enable Mobile hotspot by 
    wifi2.JPG
  5. Once the steps are all done, you can enable Mobile hotspot and tether up to 8 devices.

Was this information helpful?

Comments
bithakr
If you're running Windows 10, don't bother looking for this as non-Windows wifi management software is not supported anymore. My Wifi is for Windows 7 ONLY.