Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
schm1tty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,009
Message 1 of 14

Ericsson f3507g doesn't appear under Vista32 anymore (but works under Ubuntu Linux 9.04)

Hi all,

My Thinkpad model is T500 2055-A81 + WWAN modul installed 4 weeks ago.

Today I found an issue with the "Ericsson f3507g" WWAN modul.

It worked fine under Vista32. With  Fn+F5 it was turned on and with the "MWconn" software I was able to connect to my provider. The LED for WWAN worked fine too. I used it several times, on different days.

Now the modul isn't anymore in the Hardware list of Vista and with Fn+F5 only WLAN and Bluetooth are provided. The LED stays off all the time. I didn't run any Update from Lenovo in between, just the Windows patches.

I tried to Update everything via LenovoUpdate, so everything it's the newest version now.

But still it doesn't work. No Enty in Windows device list and no WWAN in Fn+F5 popup menu.

When I boot my second operating system Ubuntu 9.04, the WWAN module is detected, I'm able to connect to my provider and surf in the web. So the hardware works fine in the system. It'is just not detected under Vista.

How can I make it running again in Vista?

Thanks a lot!

Schm1tty

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 10,987
Message 2 of 14

Re: Ericsson f3507g doesn't appear under Vista32 anymore (but works under Ubuntu Linux 9.04)

Click on Start, then type cmd and hit enter.  Type ipconfig /all.  Under the entry for your wireless connection, does it say "Media disconnected"?
schm1tty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,971
Message 3 of 14

Re: Ericsson f3507g doesn't appear under Vista32 anymore (but works under Ubuntu Linux 9.04)

Sorry that doesn't help. There is just the GigabitEthernet, the WLAN and some Microsoft "TunnelingAdapters". But no WWAN.

It seems to me that the WWAN module is not even powered under Vista, no idea why. It does not appear in "ipconfig /all", not under devices and not in Fn+F5 menu.

schm1tty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,860
Message 4 of 14

In between I took some time to find out what's wrong.

To test if something in my Vista installation was broken I recovered an old backup of my Vista partition. The backup was made two months before the 'Ericsson f3507g' was installed inside my Thinkpad. So the Vista partition should be on a clean stage. But the 'Ericsson f3507g' is not recognized from Vista and from 'Access Connection' device manager. After installation  of'Ericsson f3507g' (weeks ago) it worked fine under Vista and I really need to get it running again.

I tried again with Ubuntu 9.04 and the 'Ericsson f3507g' works out of the box. It seems to me that the modem is internal in some funny state. I tried with setting different power states via "AT+CFUN" Command under Ubuntu. But after boot of Vista there is just nothing.

Does somebody know how I can perform this 'master reset' via AT commands? It seems to be my last chance...
Which Password do I need for this 'master reset'? 

Or has somebody other ideas?
dkosta
Paper Tape
Views: 10,654
Message 5 of 14

I have the same problem, in Device Manager in Vista64 i don't see the device and in Ubuntu is working perfectly.

Can anybody help?

schm1tty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,609
Message 6 of 14

I made it running again by playing with the power management of the card under Linux. It seems that windows power management cannot enable the card from every possible device state.

First bring the RF-Power switch to the position "on" and leave it there.

Boot the Linux and open a console window.

Switch to root user and find out if the module is enabled:

sudo su
cat /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/wwan_enable

If it returns zero enable the WWAN:

echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/wwan_enable

Otherwise try to turn it off and on again:

echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/wwan_enable
echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/wwan_enable

Under Linux you should have the devices /dev/ttyACM0 , /dev/ttyACM1 and /dev/ttyACM2, try it with:

ls /dev/tty*

Note: It can take a few seconds after enable of WWAN until the devices appear.

Shutdown Linux with the command:

halt

Now boot Vista again and try if the WWAN works.

In my case I can reproduce the original issue by turning the WWAN off again.

echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/wwan_enable

Would be nice to hear if it works on your computer.

dkosta
Paper Tape
Views: 10,584
Message 7 of 14

Your suggestion worked perfectly.

When I asked for state with the cat command it returned 1 so I tried disableing and enableing and when I rebooted in Windows it worked.

Thank you very much for the nice explanation (I am a linux noob), I was getting crazy with why it doesen't work.

intorange
Paper Tape
Views: 9,883
Message 8 of 14

Hi schm1tty!

Did Ubuntu recognize your Ericsson f3507g automatically?? My 9.10  does not; any hints, please? Otherwise we are sharing the same problem concerning WIndows, but mine is a Win 7 x64 ...

Vielen Dank!

PS: Mine is a X200  ...

schm1tty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,861
Message 9 of 14

Hi

In my case it worked out of the box with Ubuntu 9.04. I just had to set up the parameters (e.g. APN) in NetworkManager. The setting dialog of NetworkManager poped up directly after installing the card inside the T500 and booting Ubuntu.

No Idea how it is under 9.10. Had no time in between.

But in between I got the same issue under Win7 x64. (Installed completely new, no upgrade from Vista)

After Sleep mode the Ericsson card is inaccessible. Sometimes ist works again after reboot, sometimes I need the Linux trick from above, and sometimes I need to disable and re-enable the card in BIOS.

It seems to me, that firmware of card and windows driver doesen't really work together. (Under Linux it works fine) No Idea, why nothing happens from the side of Lenovo. The issue is already known for a long time. And UMTS modem without to be able to use Standby-Mode is a big bull**bleep**.

So would be nice if you find some news concerning the issue under Windows. I will try it again if I have a bit of time.

Best regards

Martin

Hiram
What's DOS?
Views: 9,825
Message 10 of 14

May I ask where did you get your Ericsson f3507g module, because I also want to get a GPS function on my T400-2767, thank you!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors