cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tsounaiq
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 13

Error 2101 Detection error on HDD2 (mini sata) in T430s

I got my 430s, and it's with a 16Gb mSATA SSD cache inside.

Now everytime when I open my PC, it shows Error 2101 Detection error on HDD2 (mini sata) and I need to press ESC to continue.

Is there any software or driver's problem, or it just phsically got wrong?

Any techician could help to solve, or I have to do it my own?

crwnc
Token Ring
Message 2 of 13

Re: Error 2101 Detection error on HDD2 (mini sata) in T430s

Have you ensured you are running the latest BIOS?  What version BIOS do you currently have?

After pressing escape does the computer boot normally?

pjg
Token Ring
Message 3 of 13

The Error 2101: Detection error on HDDx miniSata is a BIOS error. This has nothing to do with the operating system you have installed or any drivers. During the POST, the system does not see the miniSata drive.

I (like some others) received my new T530 yesterday, setup it all up and then a few hours later received this error.

The solution is simple. You must open up your ThinkPad. Remove the two keyboard screws and remove the keyboard and RE-SEAT the miniSata drive. There is 1 screw holding the board down. Remove it, re-insert it in. Screw everything back up and voila, no more issue. Go to the Lenovo / ThinkPad Guides and Manuals page for your device (http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/guides-and-manuals/default.page?) and download the Hardware Maintenance Manual for your ThinkPad. There are clear instructions (for those less inclined) on how to remove the keyboard. You do NOT need to disconnect the ribbon cable. Simple / carefully slide the keyboard forward and the miniSata drive will be visible and accessible.

You can also use the ExpressCache program to get stats on the miniSata drive and see how it is working. Open a Command Prompt (in Administrator Mode) and issue the command:

eccmd -info   -   Display ExpressCache activity informatio

eccmd -?   -  Will show you all options

eccmd -format   - Will reformat and clear the cache drive.

Hopefully, this will help out those out there with this issue. Just remember, if the BIOS doesn't see the device, it is not a driver problem !

Peribanu
Paper Tape
Message 4 of 13

As I've just posted on another thread, I have the exact same issue with a W520 and Crucial mSATA SSD. It's happened twice now in a short period of time (a few days). Leaving battery out for a while has cured it so far, but this is no good and I very much doubt the problem is a poorly seated card. It is held firmly in place with a screw. BTW, "eccmd is not a recognized command". Where do I get that programme?

pjg
Token Ring
Message 5 of 13

Download ExpressCache from the following link that corresponds to the Windows 7 installation (32bit or 64bit):    

Also, see this post for more info:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=HT074404

ExpressCache is the software which manages the 16 GB mSATA drive as an additional cache for rapid loading of programs. It is different than RapidBoot and RapidBoot Shield. It should be preinstalled on any ThinkPad system which has the 16 GB mSATA drive...

kensholu
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 13

This helped, thanks a lot for the info. In fact I suspected that I've received a T530 with some hardware defect since day one when my browsers run so slow almost like they crawling with some computer running 512mb of ram. Then today the hardware error message pops up when i restarted. And in the command prompt the 'eccmd -info' is returning HDD2 error. Then I found this thread.

After removing the keyboard, the mSata card seems sitting intact and solidly attached to its inserting port, but I took it out and re-inserted it anyway. My T530 works like a charm then, just as a laptop costing more than $1500 should.

I can't seem to figure out why Lenovo delivered a laptop with a badly seated mSata, don't they have the basic hardware QA to ensure all components are working fine? Or could this contribute to the physical vibration the laptop experienced during packing and shipping?
pjg
Token Ring
Message 7 of 13

Well, who really knows why a number of systems are having this problem. But, for me the key is that the problem is resolved in 5 min by yourself !  Glad to know that it helped you solve the issue.

Yupp, my new T530 is humming along nicely. A nice step up from the T510...

Altruisticllc
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 13

Tried re-seating the card and rebooted.  The error message went way just once and the computer acted squirrely.  Re-booted and got the message again.  So, I'm putting in a service request to probably get a replacement.  The computer is less than a month old.  I shouldn't be getting these errors!

onix
SCSI Port
Message 9 of 13

This problem arose on my T430s Win7 x64 HE (stock) after the massive (>400MB) automatic Microsoft Update overnight. (I had last updated 10 days before.)

The problem was fixed with the Lenovo System Update, that also updated my BIOS among other things. (My last Lenovo update was no more than 45 days ago.)
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Message 10 of 13

If the screw that holds it in place was installed, it cannot be mis=installed.  It sounds to me like a hardware problem

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Top Kudoed Authors