06-09-2012 03:26 PM
This ThinkPad 4270 was new in April 2012. About 2 weeks ago, the Error message: Windows 7 Build 7601 This copy of Windows is not genuine started appearing.
The Lenovo help desk in Atlanta is of no help. Their job is only "hardware," they say. I have paid Microsoft techs to fix the problem. Three of them have tried everything from running malware and antivirus software to making a registry change.
The "fix" lasts for only a few hours, during which time the message disappears and then, for no known reason, reappears.
I have discussed this with Norton techs and can't find anyone who can either explain or fix the problem. Everything works just fine--the error message just comes up. If I run the MS Validate program it disappears for a while, then reappears.
Also I have had a problem with the fingerprint reader from the time I first received this computer.
I have read postings on the error online on various boards. People have ideas about everything from a virus to a "race" issue with competing anti-virus software. I've had the online "experts" look at the computer and no one can really state the problem.
Do any of you have any experience with this? Any ideas of a real cause and fix?
Everything works just fine--just have the error message.
Thanks for sharing any ideas.
Solved! Go to Solution.
06-09-2012 04:27 PM
06-10-2012 07:05 AM
It's possible that the license storage is corrupt. Try this:
1) Click the Start button at lower left of your desktop
2) Type: %windir%\system32 into the search window.
3) Find the file CMD.exe
4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'
5) Type: net stop sppsvc (It may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
Note: the Software Protection service may not be running, this is ok.
6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Ro
7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
8) Type: cd %windir%\system32
9) Type: net start sppsvc
10) Type: slui.exe
11) The Windows Activation dialog will appear. You may be asked to re-activate and/or re-enter your product key or Activation may occur automatically.
If you have a Product Key, reactivate Windows by following these steps:
1. Click the Start button
2. Type: slui.exe 3 and hit the Enter key
3. Type in the Product key from the sticker on your computer
4. Click the Next button.
5. You will be asked if want to Activate, click ok
You can also activate by phone by following these steps:
1. Click the Start button
2. Type: slui.exe 4 and hit the Enter key
3. Select your location in the drop down menu and click the Next button
4. The next screen provides the number to call to Activate by Phone
How to contact a Microsoft Product Activation Center:
Please let the board know if either of these methods worked. Good luck
11-28-2012 03:08 PM
I can't thank you enough for posting this--I had the same problem, and after following your instructions, I fixed it. Thanks again for the info!