Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Len470s
Paper Tape
Views: 3,448
Message 11 of 16

Re: Expanded battery recall program

About time - they didn't recall mine, but I wondered if they knew of a fault because there was no quibble when I called up and complained of appalling battery life on my new T470s.  Mind you, this is not on the recall list.

Be prepared for a wait - mine were out of stock.

sr3tlaw
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,380
Message 12 of 16

@Len470s

Could you give a but more info on your experience? My battery is absolutely garbage. The batteries themselves have already lost 14% of their life according to 2 benchmarks!

I'll get an honest 2 hours of web browsing out of this $2000 laptop. Were you able to call your warranty in for replacements or what?

Thanks!

Houston, TX
CrypticLottery
Token Ring
Views: 3,338
Message 13 of 16

The T470s has an anemic power capacity for its configuration. Unfortunately this is likely a design tradeoff for a smaller and lighter form.

While the "MobileMark 2014" benchmark results aren't close to the realworld experience, e.g. they shouldn't be allowed to use the unit of time in my opinion, they are still relative to each other and therefore comparable.

The T470s is rated "up to" 10.5 hours.

The T470, depending on the battery configuration and video card used, is rated between 6.9 hr for the single 3-cell battery up to 28.6 hours for the 3 + 6 cell 72Wh battery.

The T470p is rated for 12.85 hours.

And to be honest - web browsers and by extension, the websites that you visit, are generally some of the biggest hogs of CPU (and memory, but not really relative to your battery life) that you can run on your computer these days. Web browsing isn't a light workout.

sr3tlaw
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,327
Message 14 of 16

@CrypticLottery wrote:

The T470s has an anemic power capacity for its configuration. Unfortunately this is likely a design tradeoff for a smaller and lighter form.

While the "MobileMark 2014" benchmark results aren't close to the realworld experience, e.g. they shouldn't be allowed to use the unit of time in my opinion, they are still relative to each other and therefore comparable.

The T470s is rated "up to" 10.5 hours.

The T470, depending on the battery configuration and video card used, is rated between 6.9 hr for the single 3-cell battery up to 28.6 hours for the 3 + 6 cell 72Wh battery.

The T470p is rated for 12.85 hours.

And to be honest - web browsers and by extension, the websites that you visit, are generally some of the biggest hogs of CPU (and memory, but not really relative to your battery life) that you can run on your computer these days. Web browsing isn't a light workout.

Appreciate the response. While I totally agree that "light web browsing" can be very resource intensive, this doesn't explain the drastic lost in in Full Charge Capacity relative to the Design Capacity. Below is a screenshot of a battery report from PowerShell  These numbers are consistent with a couple other utilities 

t470s-bat-report
Houston, TX
CrypticLottery
Token Ring
Views: 3,308
Message 15 of 16

@sr3tlaw wrote:

Appreciate the response. While I totally agree that "light web browsing" can be very resource intensive, this doesn't explain the drastic lost in in Full Charge Capacity relative to the Design Capacity. Below is a screenshot of a battery report from PowerShell  These numbers are consistent with a couple other utilities 

t470s-bat-report

So I had a look at a hand-full of Lenovos in our office just now and realized that I've never seen a number on the Cycle Count field for any of our laptops, ever and still not today and I'm not sure why. Don't know if it because the models we have don't keep track of it or because they're not cycling, the latter of which doesn't make sense to me based on how I understand how a cycle happens.

For example, my battery has a manufacture date in 2015 (its docked now and can't remove it to tell you the month) and I use it for work five days week on a dock and it almost always on a charger when at home and it gets maybe 1 hour on battery each day and looks like this - 

3AWQG3

With a heavy load (youtube/netfix/plex) on high-performance power profile, I can go 3-4 hours until the batteries are screaming and windows is complaining hard.

But like Len470s noted - calling support might get you somewhere. Many of the T470s SKUs come with a 1-year battery warranty. It's likely that he qualified under that battery warranty. You should check to see if your unit is still covered - https://support.lenovo.com and punch in your serial # in the warranty lookup.

MountainX
Token Ring
Views: 1,955
Message 16 of 16

I have 4 ThinkPads affected by this recall

• 2x Edge 520
  • X220T
  • X120E

I cannot use the automated process, so I tried the manual link which directs here: https://lenovobattery2014.orderz.com/

However, that page is broken.

How shall I proceed?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors