Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jamsta1972
Paper Tape
Views: 963
Message 1 of 5

External monitor black with a only a mouse pointer

Hello,

I have a Thinkpad connected to an external monitor through a docking station. When I start up, I get the Windows is Starting screen on the external monitor, but then I just get a black screen with the mouse point - ie I do not get to the login window. I'm able to move the mouse around fine but I'm not able to bring the login window to the screen.

This only happens when I'm connected to the external monitor. If I start up the notebook alone, I'm able to get to the login window and login OK.

Any advice on how to fix this?

Thank you

Jamsta

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 954
Message 2 of 5

Re: External monitor black with a only a mouse pointer

Hello and welcome,

If you'll indicate which ThinkPad (and what operating system, OS revision, etc...) we can move your post to the appropriate forum.

[edit] Thread moved.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Jamsta1972
Paper Tape
Views: 942
Message 3 of 5

Hi Z

Thank you for coming back to me.

It is a ThinkPad T440s.

I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise,

and the monitor is a Samsung S27E450.

Jamsta

Jamsta1972
Paper Tape
Views: 938
Message 4 of 5

Hi,

Just to add to this - I managed to get a display on the external monitor, but only by keeping the notebook open (ie using the built in screen as well, which is not what I want to do). I did this by first starting up the notebook in the docking station but with the monitor cable unplugged initially, and then plugging it in afterwards.

But, I then couldn't get the image to display correctly on the external monitor. All resolution settings were distorted.

So I went back over the same steps but now I just get a windows icon on both screens.

In short  - from scratch I need to understand how I can have the notebook connected to a montior through a docking stage, just making use of the montior (and not the screen built into the notebook), and with the screen displaying a sensible resolution.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 885
Message 5 of 5

Hello Jamsta,

did you ever resolve this?  If not please try the following; in the BIOS Config -> Display menu select the display option which suits your setup best as opposed to the default ThinkPad LCD, this should then enable you to boot with the ThinkPad display remaining blank.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors