Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frinks
What's DOS?
Views: 250
Message 11 of 16

Re: Extreme throttling problem and i just cant find the cause

How can a laptop that cost 1800 euros plus an expensive dock has this stupid problem.

I choose lenovo to avoid this kind of sh*t's....

I bought the 3 year warranty, and I feel completely conned...

How much time do I have to wait to get a solution from this major "chinese" manufacturer?

Sorry DELL, sorry for not choosing you, but soon I will emend my decision... geezz

ardimo
Paper Tape
Views: 239
Message 12 of 16

Meanwhile another Problem appeared: USB is not working at my Dock. Which kinda starts to defeat the purpose of this thing. Another thing i have to look into.

I have to say: I am very happy with my Lenovo machines at home. But: They are all used, older Models: x220 (Best Laptop ever made!) and my daily driver the t440p. No Problems, all running absolutely fine and the Dock is simple and awesome - they never let me down. I am afraid that the t460 series will be the the last line of lenovo notebooks i will buy as a private person. I totally disagree with the modern interpretations of the thinkpad line.

Maybe its time to tell the IT department to get me a new Dock ...

Shubell
Fanfold Paper
Views: 222
Message 13 of 16

it is a well known problem. There are quite a few topics here about this L1 throttling problem. Lenovo said in a thread here somewhere that they managed to reproduce the problem and are looking into it. Lets see what will happen. Btw i also added a smal fan that blows under the laptop between the dock and it helps a bit i think

Germanfox
Serial Port
Views: 187
Message 14 of 16

Betreff: Extreme throttling problem and i just cant find the cause

1. If you are running Windows 10 and have Hyper-V installed, uninstall it. 
  2. If you do not need virtualization, disable it in the Bios. 
  3. The thread where a Lenovo employee answered: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Other-Linux-Discussions/X1C6-T480s-low-cTDP-and-trip-temperature-in-Lin...
  4. If you are running Linux: https://github.com/erpalma/throttled
ardimo
Paper Tape
Views: 179
Message 15 of 16

Betreff: Extreme throttling problem and i just cant find the cause

Nice, thanks for pointing this out here.

Im on Windows. Unfortunately i use Hyper-V ... So disabling it is not an option. I guess i go with my trusty fan until the fix is there.

ThinkHenry
Paper Tape
Views: 138
Message 16 of 16

I have the same problem.

T480 and ultra docking station. Laptop seems to work OK when not docked.

Once docked runs fine for a short while then power limit gets stuck around 7W-10W ( limited to 7W while writing this ). Temps are 50-55 Celcius while limited. Only sure way to unlock the limit seems to be turning off the laptop.

I've had the laptop motherboard changed 3 times and the dock once. Last dock also randomly limited CPU to 200MHz or 400MHz frequency. This newer one seem to be content on only power limiting so far *knock on wood*.

I really hope there will be a fix soon. I need my dock to connect extra displays, but at the same time runnin at max 1/5th performance is really fustrating.

Edit ( 2019-09-27 ): Ran few Cinebench r15 runs while the system is limited. Scores were from 99 to 148.

Here's the high score:

2019-09-27 11_55_58-CINEBENCH R15.0.pngPerformance while locked.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors