05-17-2010

Jacksonville, FL

17 Signins

159 Page Views

• Views: 159
  • Message 1 of 4

FRU'ed 2 - T510 parts, more strangeness occurs

2012-10-27, 20:07 PM

After assuming the keyboard + touchpoint & trackpad just stopped working, I FRU'ed both parts. 

60Y5502 - Palm Rest with TrackPad

and 45N2211 - Keyboard w/ TouchPoint.

Installing them is easy, since the HMM is helpful and the T series is easy peasy to take apart / put back together. However, upon installing them, now only the keyboard works. The TrackPoint has ceased to function (with the FRU replacement), and the touchpad does not work.

The BIOS does not see the trackpad, under Config > Mouse/Keyboard, only the touchpoint, so Fn + F8 won't let me switch. 

I have an idea that the ribbon cable for the touchpad is not inserted correctly, somehow. Even tho when I push the ribbon down into the slot, the clamp does close as it should. But the ribbon, will gently pop out. 

What I don't understand is why the keyboard works, but not the touchpoint.. the touchpoint and trackpad are on separate connections (albeit, next to each other on the system board). 

Anyone have any ideas? I'm at a loss, and am considering just buying a new computer. 

Options

10397 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39213 Signins

404902 Page Views

• Views: 404902
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: FRU'ed 2 - T510 parts, more strangeness occurs

2012-10-27, 22:06 PM
I am trying to figure out how to answer. There are 4 half-words and you have them arranged in 3 different ways. There is a trackpoint (part of the keyboard, and on the keyboard connector) and the touchpad (part of the palmrest, and on the same connection as the optional fingerprint reader and color correction sensor) I assume your problem is the touchpad. (I assume your trackpad means touchpad, and touchpoint means trackpoint.) The touchpad ribbon has tabs near the end that need to go into notches in the connector. Then the latch will close and stay closed. I hope you didn't damage the connector on the motherboard, which is an expensive repair.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

17 Posts

05-17-2010

Jacksonville, FL

17 Signins

159 Page Views

• Views: 159
  • Message 3 of 4

2012-10-27, 22:37 PM

Sorry. To clarify. 

Trackpoint = red dot in keyboard

Touchpad = trackpad, aka the finger based, square touch sensitive pad in palm rest. 

Keyboard has it's own ribbon cable which is a snap in type.

Palm rest + trackpad has it's own ribbon cable which connect to the slot on motherboard. 

Both are connected. The trackpoint (red dot) is not working, but the keyboard is working - I'm writing this reply on that keyboard.  The touchpad / trackpad does not work.

Options

10397 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39213 Signins

404902 Page Views

• Views: 404902
  • Message 4 of 4

2012-10-27, 23:45 PM

check the keyboard cable for nicks or cracks on one side or the other.  The trackpoint uses leads near the edge of that cable

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save