Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retaking
Punch Card
Views: 18,136
Message 1 of 8

Fan Error Lenovo T500 T510 T400 T410 T60 T61 - rejuvinating the fan

I finally got that dreaded "Fan Error" at boot time on my T500.  After some research on this board, this is what I have concluded:

1-  hit Escape, and the machine will boot.  It can do a lot of stuff without a fan turning.  Gaming caused it to overheat.  Either the processor would slow down (by being intermittant) or you get the black screen of death.

2-  It is relatively easy to follow the Hardware Maintenence Manual and remove the fan and heatsink assembly.  Once the assembly is removed, pry open the fan, and remove the blades and clean and lubricate the shaft.  My fan restarted, and the Fan Error went away.  No need to replace the fan.

3-  Unfortunately the machine overheats now (black screen of death), even though the fan does operate.  I traced this to a too liberal application of the thermal joint compound.  Made the compound a very thin film, and that seems to have helped.  Also when replacing heat sink assembly and before bolting it, wiggle it while pressing on it so the thermal joint compound spreads itself at the surfaces of contact.  This seems to have helped.

Anything else that you may want to add to this thread?

lxgw
What's DOS?
Views: 15,262
Message 2 of 8

Re: Fan Error Lenovo T500 T510 T400 T410 T60 T61 - rejuvinating the fan

I run into the similar problem here.

But even after I clean the fan assembly, the 'fan error' message persists. In fact when the machine is powered up, the fan will run about 3 second, then stops. The sys. self test then reports the error.

It is quite weird. The fan is apparently working. The online search does not return much useful info.

Anyone likes to comment?
Retaking
Punch Card
Views: 15,250
Message 3 of 8

@lxgw wrote:
I run into the similar problem here.

But even after I clean the fan assembly, the 'fan error' message persists. In fact when the machine is powered up, the fan will run about 3 second, then stops. The sys. self test then reports the error.

It is quite weird. The fan is apparently working. The online search does not return much useful info.

Anyone likes to comment?

Have you tried opening the fan and lubriating the shaft?  It is pretty easy once you remove the fan assembly.

I suppose it does not like the signal it is getting from the fan.  Maybe it is not revving as much as the machine expects.

Have you tried hitting escape during boot after the beeps to bypass the fan and boot?  If the fan is working, then this should fix your problem?

lxgw
What's DOS?
Views: 15,225
Message 4 of 8

Thanks a lot! It makes sense.

Yes, I have been using the ESC bypass for some time, untill I really could not stand by anymoreSmiley Tongue--the over heating.

I am thinking about manipulating the fan 'manually', if it could pass the booting, very good; if not, it's not completely unacceptable to run a small program@startup along with the work.

Not ready to say bye yet,  will keep trying.  

Thanks again!  

Retaking
Punch Card
Views: 15,208
Message 5 of 8

@lxgw wrote:

Thanks a lot! It makes sense.

Yes, I have been using the ESC bypass for some time, untill I really could not stand by anymoreSmiley Tongue--the over heating.

I am thinking about manipulating the fan 'manually', if it could pass the booting, very good; if not, it's not completely unacceptable to run a small program@startup along with the work.

Not ready to say bye yet,  will keep trying.  

Thanks again!  

So if you hit ESC, does your fan work normally, or do you overheat?  I had the impression that your fan would work normally if you hit ESC.

My fan was always a problem on the T500 (not on my new W540).  It was extremely noisy and was constantly on even at no load times.  So I opened the laptop and cut one of the 3 wires on the fan (I am sure it is a power wire), and installed a manual switch.  So when the thing overheated, I could manually turn the fan on.  This worked for about a week and then something gave up, and the fan stopped working altogether.  (don't fix something that is not broken!)  I had to take the front cover off, and place a PC fan in the top left corner to cool the radiator.  This was not as effective as the original fan, but let me do my job.  Then the loose switch on this ersatz fan one day accidentallyshorted the fluoroscent backlight PC board of my display and I lost my display backlight!  I had to pry open my display and using two 60W bulbs project light to the back of the LCD so I could read the display!  This is when I decided to punt and ordered the W540.  The fan is quiet and works when it has to work.

ayazahmad
What's DOS?
Views: 12,152
Message 6 of 8

I still remember fan error problem in my Lenovo T510. I solved this problem with a oily liquid named WD40 and after that fan of my laptop worked well. If you anyone facing this error then must open your keyboard and then wash your fan and its essmebly with WD40 liquid and pack it again... your fan will work like before.

IBMT21
Token Ring
Views: 8,794
Message 7 of 8

Hi, I have a big problem. Because the laptop reported fan error, I bought a new fan. Unfortunately, a problem is always the same.  I found out, that on the fan is not 5V.  Around the port are some component, one of them will probably fuse.  They are poorly marked, I do not know which component it is.

Please help

PS: it is Lenovo T510 TYPE 4243-4UG

IBMT21
Token Ring
Views: 8,772
Message 8 of 8

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors