Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sailoholic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,404
Message 1 of 99

Fingerprint Reader not working upon waking from sleep for windows login

Hello,
I have a brand new T540P with a Validity fingerprint reader. 

Rougly 80% of the time, the Fingerprint reader is unresponsive at the windows login screen after waking the computer from sleep. It works 100% of the time when booting from an off position, however. Once logged in, it also works 100% of the time. The issue only arises when logging into windows.

Things I have tried

-uninstalling/installing device in device manager and finger print manager pro software

-setting fingerprints through both fingerprint manager pro software (lenovo) OR through the built in windows fingerprint control panel options

-disabling "allow windows to turn off this device to save power" in device manager.

I should note as well that I have another T540P that I ordered as a replacement. Both models experience the same issue.

Is this a platform wide issue affecting all T540P models? This is frusterating. 

Guru
Views: 14,392
Message 2 of 99

Re: Fingerprint Reader not working upon waking from sleep for windows login

Haven't heard about this issue before.

If it stops working after resume, does putting it back into sleep then resuming again make it work?

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
sailoholic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,375
Message 3 of 99

Just checked, that doesn't appear to make a difference. I will continue checking it every time the issue appears, but upon a cursory evaluation, no, putting it back into sleep doesn't make a difference.

Thanks for the swift response Colonel!

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 14,354
Message 4 of 99

We have heard of this issue previously from a couple other users but have never been able to reproduce this.  We have tested this literally on dozens of ThinkPads thousands of times.  We've asked Validity for their help also to see if they have any idea what could cause this. We have never seen this issue ourselves.

I believe from your info that you are running Win8.1 but please correct me if I'm wrong about that.  Can you try an experiement?  Run "Lenovo Settings", go into the Power section and then disable 30-day standby.  Then reboot so this change takes effect.  Does the problem happen with 30-day standby disabled?

sailoholic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,339
Message 5 of 99

Too bad you couldn't be here! This issue happens more often than not.

I am running Windows 8.1 x64 Professional with all updates (both drivers and windows). 

I disabled 30-day standby and will check in to see if that helps. Again, it is unpredictable when it will happen.

In addition, I find that sometimes the touchpad and wifi/bluetooth randomly disable. The WiFi issue happens much less often after updating intel AC7260 driver directly from Intel (Lenovo version is out of date) but my bluetooth mouse still experiences random periods of being disabled. Turning mouse on and off does not help, must enable/disable bluetooth on computer (sometimes works) or reboot (always works).

The random trackpad issue still occurs, however. During this time the little rubber nub in the keyboard is still functional.

Thanks!

sailoholic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,319
Message 6 of 99

Someotherguy,

Reporting back here. Disabling 30 day standby does not appear to make a signifigant difference. The issue still occurs. I will see if the frequency of this issue goes down.

Meanwhile, it appears that this issue is not an isolated event. My computer is a brand new replacement. Do I need to be concerned about returning the unit? Do the other T or W series models experience similar issues, if I were to swap this model out for another?

Best,

Colin

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 14,307
Message 7 of 99

sailoholic

Your report is the first we have ever heard of this issue on T/W.  It does not happen on my T/W systems here (with or without 30 Day Standby enabled).  The other reports I heard of this problem came from X240.

I just want to confirm with you - the problem happens after coming out of Sleep (and not Hibernate), right?

Can you tell me exactly what you are doing?  e.g.

1.  Use the computer normally (is AC attached or not?)

2.  Close the lid - the computer goes to sleep  (or do you go to sleep some other way?)

3.  Open the lid 2 hours later (or how long)?

4.  are you using a dock?

The more info you can provide, the better.  Thanks for your help.

Also please let me know what BIOS version you have.

sailoholic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,277
Message 8 of 99

Someotherguy,

In response to your questions:

1. This happens irrespective of whether the AC adapter is attatched or not
  2. I usually put computer to sleep by closing lid
  3. I believe the issue primarily happens after letting computer rest for some time period (1-3 hours) but I have witnessed it occuring right after putting computer in sleep mode.
  4. I am not using a dock
  5. Hibernation is disabled in Power Settings

I will see if I can disable Intel Rapid Start Tech (Intel's name for "30 day standby") in the BIOS and report if this makes any difference.

Do I need to be concerned with replacing this unit? It appears to be somewhat random as others have experienced the same issue on various forums. This is also my 2nd T540P to experience the same issue, as stated above. 

sailoholic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,262
Message 9 of 99

Someotherguy,

Just checking in again.

I have tried the following since I last posted.

1.  New driver was released through windows update, my device now comes up as "Synaptics FP Sensor" in device manager, not Validity. This driver makes an insignifigant improvement. I cannot really tell a difference. 

2. I uninstalled Lenovo Fingerprint Manager Softare, Password Manager, the Synaptics FP Sensor driver, Validity Driver, reset fingerprint data in BIOS, deleted Fingerprint data in windows control panel. I then installed just the synaptics FP Sensor driver. I then used the windows 8.1 biometrics settings in control panel to add a fingerprint. I had the most success with this option, but still the reader will occasionally not work at boot from standyby.

Any suggestions?

THANK YOU!

funnyfarm299
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,245
Message 10 of 99

I too am experiencing this issue. The FPR will often not come online when resuming from sleep mode, and I will have to re-enter sleeo mode another time or two for it to work.

This is a brand new T440s, and it's really irritating.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors