cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joc007
Paper Tape
Views: 12,366
Message 1 of 10

Fingerprint manager pro no longer recognizing fingerprint sensor (T440s)

I am using win 8.1 (fully updated) and used to have working fingerprint logon. Now it stopped working.

Suddenly I can not use Lenovo Fingerprint Manager Pro (V 8.01.42(x64)) anymore. Whenever I try to start the application, it asks me for my Windows password, but then responds - "The device is not connected to the computer. Please insert the authentication device."

OTH, in the device manager, under Biometric devices, I see Synaptics FP Sensors (WBF) (PID=0017)

Also windows fingerprint sign-in option is greyed out.

Any hints, what can I check?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 12,291
Message 2 of 10

Re: Fingerprint manager pro no longer recognizing fingerprint sensor (T440s)

Try this:

1.  reboot and then press F1 at "Lenovo" logo to enter BIOS setup

2.  Change to "Security" menu

3.  change to "Fingerprint" item

4.  Choose the option for "Reset Fingerprint Data" - what happens?

5.  Press F10 to save and exit

6.  Try to enroll fingers again - what happens?

Joc007
Paper Tape
Views: 12,277
Message 3 of 10

Thank you for quickly responding. I did what you suggested; in BIOS I got message that action was successfully carried out. Still, it didn't make the Fingerprint Manager pro going past initial screen.

I checked for "sfc /scannow" and got issues, so I decided to do Windows refresh. I know this was quite drastic since I had to reinstall practically everything Smiley Frustrated

After windows refresh everything started to work "out of the box". I didn't install Fingerprint Manager pro, since the driver and windows SW handled it automatically.

If anybody else would need to take the same (drastic) measure, here is the list of things I had to install to got everything working:

- Lenovo Power Management Driver
- SD reader driver (Realtek Media Card Reader-RTS5227 Driver / PCI-E card reader)
- Intel Collaborative Processor Performance Control Driver

Apparently Win8.1 now supports majority of the T440s SW smoothly out of the box.

Thanks for your suggestion.

meyergru
Paper Tape
Views: 12,230
Message 4 of 10

I don't think that this is a valid solution.

I had the same problem on an X1 carbon (2015). Did an update including Fingerprint manager pro 8.01.42 and after the next reboot, the fingerprint sensor was not used any more. No LED light, no fingerprint symbol on the login page, device manager showed a defective or otherwise unresponsive USB device (I do not remember the exact message). Fingerprint manager told me that no device was present.

I did a Windows 8.1 system restore to the day before the update (with previous Fingerprint manager pro 8.01.41) and after having marked Fingerprint manager link as "run as administrator," everything works fine again. So, the new version of the software is bad (or maybe the fingerprint device driver that comes with it).

There are some other people with the same problem and all come up with it in the last few days, like:

http://topusefulsolutions.com/392769/fingerprint-manager-pro-is-no-longer-recognizing-validity-senso...

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 12,224
Message 5 of 10

I tried to reproduce a problem like this here.  Using my X1 Carbon 3rd-gen (2015), I started with the Win8.1 factory preload which includes Lenovo Fingerprint Manager Pro 8.01 26.  Then I upgraded to each version that we have released since then, rebooting in between.  8.01.26 -> 8.01.32 -> 8.01.35 -> 8.01.41 -> 8.01.42   and the fingerprint is still working.  I do believe there might be some problem with upgrades based on what you're reporting but I don't know what the problem might be, or how to reproduce it.  Do you have any other idea about it?

meyergru
Paper Tape
Views: 12,210
Message 6 of 10

I just did a re-install, but this time I separated the other updates (some Intel technology stuff, Synaptics touchpad and Intel LAN drivers) by installing them first, rebooted and updated the Fingerprint software afterwards from 8.01.41 to 8.01.42. Now that worked.

Strange, anyhow...

Joc007
Paper Tape
Views: 12,202
Message 7 of 10

I prefer to not use any of the manufacturer provided SW (which is in many cases IMHO far too heavy, but it might be only my take on this) if OS provides good enough support.

For T440s I am now extremely happy with the way how laptop performs with Win8.1 (latest updates) out of the box (with very little add-on drivers).

I am not using Lenovo Fingerprint Manager anymore (using Windows native support) and it never worked so smoothly.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 12,197
Message 8 of 10

@Joc007 wrote:

For T440s I am now extremely happy with the way how laptop performs with Win8.1 (latest updates) out of the box (with very little add-on drivers).

I am not using Lenovo Fingerprint Manager anymore (using Windows native support) and it never worked so smoothly.

The Win8.1 native support works well like you found out.  But, it doesn't support fingerprint for BIOS passwords.  For that, you need Lenovo Fingerprint Manager Pro.  If you don't use BIOS passwords,, or don't want fingerprint for BIOS passwords, then the Win8.1 native support is all you need.

Joc007
Paper Tape
Views: 12,174
Message 9 of 10

Thanks for this clarification... I am not fmiliar with "Fingerprint for BIOS". Does this mean - you have protected access to BIOS and you can enter it with fingerprint? As a means for additional level of protection (not only OS)?

Thanks.

FmrsLtd1986
What's DOS?
Views: 713
Message 10 of 10

Hi,

I encountered the same problem when I erased Windows 10 from my T430 (I bought it with this system installed) and wanted to go back to Windows 7 64 bits instead because I encountered problems runnings programs since the last upgrade. At this point, it was very hard to get the fingerprint sensor working fine on W7.

I tried to install "Lenovo Touch Fingerprint Software" but when running, it told me "The device is not connected to the computer" (I looked at the BIOS and everything was OK in the security tab, the sensor was activated). I tried to erase the ols prints, but the problem was not solved anymore.

After some searches, I tried to install the "Lenovo Think Advantage Fingerprint Software" from this location (Sorry, french version) :

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/fr/fr/downloads/ds029769

and... IT WORKED !!!

So get rid of the "Lenovo Touch Fingerprint Software" and install "Lenovo Think Advantage Fingerprint Software"  instead ;-)

Hope this helped you.

Laurent.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors