hanckmann
Blue Screen Again
Views: 12,957
Message 1 of 14

Fingerprint reader not working

The laptop I ordered is the following:

Product sku: 20AQCTO1WW
Productnaam: ThinkPad T440s

I added the fingerprint reader to the available options. This week I wanted to start using it,  however I am unable to do so. It does not show up in my device listing (lsusb).

I tried to enable the device in the BIOS and reset it and here I came across the following problem:

"No fingerprint reader is attached" (continue)

It seems to provide a good reason for not finding the device using lsusb. So what is wrong with my laptop? What else can I try?

Please note that I am working on Linux and have no Win8 installed at this moment.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 12,914
Message 2 of 14

Re: Fingerprint reader not working

What FPR option have you enabled in BIOS setup?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

hanckmann
Blue Screen Again
Views: 12,899
Message 3 of 14

Hi,

The settings which I expected to be relevant are the USB and the Fingerprint Reader settings. If I missed any, I'll be happy to add them at a later point.

Config / USB

USB UEFI BIOS Support (Enabled)

Always on USB (Enabled)

- Charge in Battery Mode (Disabled)

USB 3.0 Mode (Auto)

Security / Fingerprint

Predesktop Authentication (Enabled)

Reader Priority (Internal) -note: also tested with: External->Internal-

Security Mode (Normal) -note: also tested with: High-

Password Authentication (Enabled)

Reset Fingerprint Data / (Enter) -> No Fingerprint Reader is attached

Also; the fingerprint reader does not show up when using lsusb.

However; I did find the following error(s) in my dmesg log:

$ dmesg|grep 2-6
(    1.198234) usb 2-6: new full-speed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
(    1.358185) usb 2-6: device descriptor read/64, error -71
(    1.461489) usb 2-6: hub failed to enable device, error -22
(    1.621383) usb 2-6: new full-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
(    1.781499) usb 2-6: device descriptor read/64, error -71
(    1.884667) usb 2-6: hub failed to enable device, error -22
(    2.044542) usb 2-6: new full-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
(    2.044668) usb 2-6: Device not responding to setup address.
(    2.247881) usb 2-6: Device not responding to setup address.
(    2.451039) usb 2-6: device not accepting address 4, error -71
(    2.611004) usb 2-6: new full-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
(    2.611137) usb 2-6: Device not responding to setup address.
(    2.814343) usb 2-6: Device not responding to setup address.
(    3.017510) usb 2-6: device not accepting address 5, error -71

I do not know if the Fingerprint reader is connected to usb 2-6, but from lsusb I guess that it is an Intel device.

Lastly I also add the output of lsusb:

$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:8000 Intel Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 007: ID 04f2:b39a Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
Bus 002 Device 006: ID 8087:07dc Intel Corp.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 12,891
Message 4 of 14

Are you sure ven/dev IDs and chipset devices chain are correct? At least 8087:07dc might be Intel BT dongle.

---

UPD

There is also Security -> I/O Port Access menu and Fingerprint Reader options.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

hanckmann
Blue Screen Again
Views: 12,872
Message 5 of 14

Sure, the 8087:07dc could be the Intel BT dongle. Meaning that the error about usb 2-6 is not related to the Fingerprint Reader. That is good to know.

However, that brings me back to the original question... why can I not see the FPR in mij lsusb listing and do I get that weird error in my EUFI BIOS setting.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 12,865
Message 6 of 14

I've mentioned the primary BIOS Setup setting above that refers to the FPR.

As I'm not a Linux user I can't provide you clear assistance, sorry. But I'd research drivers installation as FPR usually is coonected to the PCI bus via a lot of devices. I don't know exactly the such chain for the t440s (and fast Google doesn't help) but usually the chain looks like this one (I'm pretty sure you know that):
-Intel 9 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller
--Root USB Hub
---Generic USB Hub
----TouchChip FP Coprocessor

Perhaps Linux sertified releases for the rest line Lenovo laptops will help you to find a solution. For instance, Ubuntu for t440/t440p. There is "Validity sensor" support.

hanckmann
Blue Screen Again
Views: 12,829
Message 7 of 14

Obviously I will not have a working Fingerprint Reader if I do not have the correct drivers installed.

However:

1) the fingerprint reader should be in the lsusb listing
2) no matter the operating system, the BIOS should not give the error: "No fingerprint reader is attached" (continue)

I do not know if Lenovo technicians actually read this forum, if yes... I hope for a reaction from their side. If no, I might have to send it back under warranty.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 12,821
Message 8 of 14

I know the 1st answer of anyone from Lenovo suport team - "firstly, perform the factoty recovery using Lenovo recovery media". No Linux, but Lenovo preloaded OS reduction.

Then, how did you add FPR?

I'm pretty sure "No fingerprint reader is attached" isn't an answer from BIOS (how do imagine that?). It's error from OS because of driver is missing.

I've provided you solution regarding sertified Linux version. For the test purpose at least or for the driver comparision.

---

UPD

I can't check out the specification of your laptop since the MTM you've provided has (probably) a typo

hanckmann
Blue Screen Again
Views: 12,795
Message 9 of 14

For the next person who replies to this threat, please read my first post! I think I clearly describe that the Fingerprint Reader is NOT detected by the BIOS. For those who are still in doubt, I will add a picture:

Link to image

So, I hope somebody can react on the BIOS-error (see image above), and hopefully help me fix this issue.

Moderator comment: Image(s) converted to link(s). For helpful information, please see: About Posting Pictures In The Forums.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 12,785
Message 10 of 14

I'm not "a next person" but let me assume the cause of issue might be a unpropper (inaccurate, incomplete etc.) connection with FPR ribbon cable on the systemboard.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors