Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LenovoUser5
Paper Tape
Views: 993
Message 1 of 3

Fingerprint reader stopped working - T430s, Windows 8.1

I can no longer use or enroll finger prints on my T430s laptop running Windows 8.1!

ThinkVantage Fingerprint Software is 6.0.0.8102.

Sensor: TouchChip Fingerprint Coprocessor (WBF advanced mode). Driver version: 1.6.2.352. 

Symptom: when trying to enroll a fingerprint, I get the message: 'Use a longer stroke when scanning your fingerprint,' the sensor light turns from green to blinking orange (3 times), then back to green. Same happens when when trying to enroll from Windows PC Setting/ Sign-in Options/ Fingerprint (Add).

What I tried: uninstalling ThinkVantage Fingerprint Software and Driver (to include selecting 'Delete the driver software for this device'), rebooting, using Lenovo System Update to re-install ThinkVantage Fingerprint Software, rebooting. Have also tried to manually install previous versions of the Fingerprint Software to no avail. 

Note: I had this similar problem in the past, since upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1, but the steps above usually resolved it.

Has anybody encountered this issue? Any ideas for a solution?

Many thanks!

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 960
Message 2 of 3

Re: Fingerprint reader stopped working - T430s, Windows 8.1

Try rebooting into BIOS Setup (reboot and press F1 at the Lenovo/ThinkPad logo screen).  Then change to the Security menu, Fingerprint option, and choose the option about "Reset Fingerprint Data".  Then press F10 to save and exit and boot back into Windows.  Then try to enroll your finger again.  

LenovoUser5
Paper Tape
Views: 936
Message 3 of 3

Re: Fingerprint reader stopped working - T430s, Windows 8.1

I had tried the suggestion given by someotherguy to no avail!

HERE'S WHAT SOLVED THE PROBLEM: I shut down the laptop, removed both batteries, waited a minute, put back the batteries and restarted!... Since then (about one week ago), the figerprint reader has been working without a hitch!

Top Kudoed Authors