Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drgibson
What's DOS?
Views: 216
Message 1 of 3

Fingerprint reader stopped working

The fingerprint reader on my T470 has been a little glitchy since I bought it - occasionally doesn't work, but usually resolves if I restart it. Just performed some sort of update, though, and since then the fingerprint reader hasn't worked at all.  I had to go back and figure out what my password was, which took a while since I've never used it before.

Any ideas? I am not a computer person, so if I can't fix this really easily I'm going to have to get it repaired (it's still under warranty).

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 157
Message 2 of 3

Re: Fingerprint reader stopped working

Dear customer,

In ordere to clarify your issue, can you provide below information ?

- Which Windows 10 version is used on your T470, Version 1709 or 1803?  Is it upgraded by Windows Update?

- Can you check Fingerprint device status on Device Manager?  Is it Yellow Banged ?

- Have you tried to uninstall Fingerprint reader device once, then re-install the latest Intel SGX device and Fingerprint driver?

drgibson
What's DOS?
Views: 132
Message 3 of 3

Re: Fingerprint reader stopped working

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to answer your questions, but be warned, my ignorance on these subjects may be irritating.

- I have Windows Home. I don't know if it's version 1709 or 1803. I've tried searching my computer and I can't find that information anywhere. If you can tell me where it is, I'll be happy to look again. I'm not sure what Windows Update is, but Windows does update periodically.

- Holy crap, I literally had to google how to open Device Manager. I feel like this shouldn't be so complicated. But I did find it. There is no Fingerprint device status, and I don't know what Yellow Banged means, but there is something called Biometric devices (which I googled, again, and seems to equate to a fingerprint scanner) with a yellow triangle beside it, which has an exclamation point inside. Just a little advice - you may want to cut down on the jargon and synonyms and use more straightforward language when speaking to regular people. Like, when I'm treating kids, I don't say 'umbilicus', I say 'belly button', even if it feels silly to me. And if I have to explain something more technically, I don't switch between 'bowel' and 'small intestine' and expect patients to know they mean the same thing. Sorry if that comes across as a little preachy, but if you're smart enough to work with computers, I think you can probably handle this. 

- I have not tried uninstalling Fingerprint reader device. I could probably figure out how to do it, but I'm not confident that I could then figure out how to re-install the Fingerprint driver and Intel SGX device, since I'm not even sure what they are. If you can walk me through it, I'd be willing to try.

Thanks again for your help. I do appreciate it.

Top Kudoed Authors