Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HPTQRPM
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,909
Message 1 of 4

GPS T540p w/Sierra Wireless EM7355

I have a new T540p running Windows 10 with a factory installed Sierra Wireless EM7355, Qualcomm Gobi 4G LTE/HSPA+/EVDO/GSM/GPRS/EDGE, GPS, M.2 Card and I cannot get any GPS functionality with this.

On my previous T510 /Win7  and a Qualcom Gobi 2000  I could use  the Thinkpad GPS program to manage the GPS, and then my mapping and navigation programs would see the GPS as a Comm port and connect with no problems at all.

Reading posts here, it seemed that a program called GPS Complete from turboirc.com would do the job; I downloaded and installed it, and it seemed like it worked once, but now it doesn't.

What's the solution here? 

(I have a USB GPS, but I bought a top of the line laptop because I wanted built-in GPS capabilities.)

Edit: The wireless WAN/Mobile Broadband is activated through Verizon Wireless and is functional. Wifi, Bluetooth, and other communication features all work properlyp

Thanks!

T510-4313 Win7 / 3GB / 128GB SSD / i5 / WWAN
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,898
Message 2 of 4

Re: GPS T540p w/Sierra Wireless EM7355

Hi

Firstly, I don't have win10 installed neither em7355 card, So, my words below are ... just the words, they might not help.

1. What virtual device is your location app (apps?) using? Com port or sensor?

2. Do you see location sensor em7355 related in the Device Manager?

3. I hope you are using GPSComplete app properly. Whether the second device (com port?) had appeared in the Device Manager?

4. Is location feature, based on the em7355 card, enabled in the win10 settings menu?

5. em7355 location features might depend on the drivers installation options, similar previous Gobi gererations. Navigate to the folder where the drivers package is extracted, with .msi installer inside. There should be .ini file with options for installer. Post its content here.

6. I hope you know the 1st fix after wwan modem based on GPS sensor cold start needs a long time, 10...20 minuts and more, especially indoor

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

HPTQRPM
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,891
Message 3 of 4

1. What virtual device is your location app (apps?) using? Com port or sensor?

The programs (Delorme Street Atlas, Delorme Topo and Open CPN) can be set to either a Com Port or USB, and I have tried both settings. They also allow choosing various devices, and I've chosen Generic NMEA, COM3, 4800baud, 8 bits, No Parity, 1 Stop.

2. Do you see location sensor em7355 related in the Device Manager?

Yes. Device Manager shows:

Network Adapters / Sierra Wireless EM7355

Ports / GPS Reverse Driver (COM 3)

Sensors / gpsdirect, MS Visual Studio Loc Sim Sensor, Sierra Wireless Location Sensor

3. I hope you are using GPSComplete app properly. Whether the second device (com port?) had appeared in the Device Manager?

I home I'm using it properly, too. Smiley Happy It doesn't have any instructions or documentation. When I start the GPS Complete program, it says that the Sensor Driver, COM Port Driver and COM Object are all installed. Under Tests / Sensor Explorer it shows the same items as Dev Mgr / Sensors. If I turn Sensor Explorer On it shows "Initializing" for the Sierra and GPSDirect sensors. Sometimes, after a long, long time (20-30 minutes) the Sierra sensor will start showing valid GPS data, ie Lat, Lon and Elev in meters. 

4. Is location feature, based on the em7355 card, enabled in the win10 settings menu?

Yes.

5. em7355 location features might depend on the drivers installation options, similar previous Gobi gererations. Navigate to the folder where the drivers package is extracted, with .msi installer inside. There should be .ini file with options for installer. Post its content here.

I found "installer_paramaters.xml" in C:/Program Files(x86) / Sierra Wireless / Lenovo Driver Package:

(and a lot of other .inf and .xml files, but no .ini ones)

I'm posting it seprately so as not to exceed the 20,000 char msg limit.

6. I hope you know the 1st fix after wwan modem based on GPS sensor cold start needs a long time, 10...20 minuts and more, especially indoor.

Yes. Where I am at work right now has no GPS signal.

Thank you for your reply!

T510-4313 Win7 / 3GB / 128GB SSD / i5 / WWAN
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,882
Message 4 of 4

I've removed two your big posts with strings, those files are not relevant.

Some clarification.
1., 2. Whether the COM3 port, in your case, sends and shows NMEA data when location sensor is enabled? Check it using terminal tool, not location app

3. As I understand the COM3 port is there due to the GPSDirect. Right?

I meant another setting file. You've mentioned folder and files after (!) drivers have been installed. We need another folder.
Drivers are being installed in 2 stages:
- drivers package from the support site are being extracted in the folder, usually C:\Drivers\...
- after request drivers installation process starts.

Navigate to the folder where package is being extracted. There might be configuration.ini file for the installer. Of course, it might have another name and extension, but content is very small.
Or use setup.exe with keys - property and value. But in the latter case we don't know default installer settings. There should be, I hope, two keys location related:
GPS and LOCATIONDRIVER with values 0 or 1.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors