cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesnb
Punch Card
Views: 13,067
Message 1 of 15

Gobi 2000 GPS 3G is unlocked and is GSM?

I just placed an order a T410 with Mobile Broadband Gobi 2000 GPS 3G.

I selected Open SIM card for Verizon

May I ask if this card support GSM (e.g. able to use GPRS, EDGE and 3G)? Is it unlock and could be use with any GSM carriers around the globe? (I am frequent traveller and have to switch the mobile number quite often)

Thanks for the information, I appreciated!

James

[Update]: I just called the Technical support to ask about this and the technician told me that, I cannot use other SIM card than Verizon one. This means I have to stick with Verizon Open SIM forever???? Is it true???

BrokenArrow
Blue Screen Again
Views: 13,025
Message 2 of 15

Re: Gobi 2000 GPS 3G is unlocked and is GSM?

well...

the answer to both of your questions is YES.

Verizon tech support (and it's NOT the first time i encounter it...) knows nothing regarding the Gobi.

jamesnb
Punch Card
Views: 13,002
Message 3 of 15

Strange thing is that the answer was from Lenovo Tech Support, not from Verizon.

And when I reconfirmed his statement, he still insisted that, this Gobi does not work with any other carriers but Verizon!!!

What kind of supports that lacks a basic information on their own product, do you think???

Any other users of this card can confirm this card unlcoked???

Thanks

Volker1
802.11n
Views: 12,982
Message 4 of 15

The Gobi 2000 supports EV-DO/CDMA as well as GSM/EDGE/UMTS. Given that feature set, it would be rather stupid to lock it to one provider. But then, you never know...

As a rule of thumb, tech support is clueless. I don't understand why you are surprised about that.

SteveInWA
SCSI Port
Views: 12,940
Message 5 of 15

The GOBI hardware supports both CDMA/EV-DO and GSM/UTMS/HSPA carrier networks, but the issue is that corresponding laptop client software is needed to configure and authenticate the laptop to your account on the carrier's network.  CDMA networks do not use SIM cards; they rely on an identifier number "burned into" the adapter (ESN/MEID).  While it's technically possible to use another carrier network, the only CDMA network in the USA that will work with the ThinkPad's GOBI card is Verizon, not Sprint.  I assume this is contractual between Lenovo and Verizon. 

The phrase "Open SIM" means that the ThinkPad has an empty GSM SIM slot.  If you ordered the laptop with the AT&T option, as I did, it would have come with an AT&T SIM card, which is easily removeable (under the battery).  This SIM can be activated with a data plan.  You could also obtain a SIM from AT&T, download their Windows client, and use the adapter with AT&T if you prefer.  Note that when the AT&T SIM is installed, the Verizon option won't appear, and when the AT&T SIM is removed, the Verizon client option re-appears and the AT&T option disappears.  There is nothing else in the laptop's "build" preventing you from using either carrier, regardless of how you ordered it.

I have no idea if other countries' wireless carriers support the GOBI adapter in the ThinkPad.  Keep in mind that you cannot simply insert any carrier's SIM and expect it to work.  It isn't a cell phone.  You also need to have subscribed or prepaid to a DATA plan with the carrier, and that carrier has to have a GOBI Windows software client to install on the ThinkPad.

--Steve
jamesnb
Punch Card
Views: 12,931
Message 6 of 15

Thank you for your very useful piece of information.

In fact, I am using Swisscom SIM card with full 3G package as I often roam around European for Corp. Project Sales.

Regardless the name it's called, technical restriction (from within the hardware) is the only barrier to my daily usage. If the card does not support GSM natively (we know it does now, thanked to your info) and/or work with GSM, I hardly have no other option but to change the  order, and that takes age to my works.

Anyway, thank again for the info.

JN

SteveInWA
SCSI Port
Views: 12,845
Message 7 of 15

I don't quite understand your reply, jamesnb, but here is some further clarification of my post:

• There is no hardware restriction on using the Gobi adapter with any GSM SIM, 3G or otherwise (not "locked").
  • Wireless WAN data cards (either Gobi internal, or USB external) all need carrier-specific software on the PC to enable them to work.  It's not the same as moving a SIM from one cellphone to another.
  • The problem is, that the SIM is useless without a matching Windows client software program to allow you to authenticate and use the wireless carrier's system.  In the USA, there is a AT&T client program that works with their SIM.
  • I do not know if any carriers outside the USA offer a software client to do this on the Gobi-equipped ThinkPad.  Perhaps some other forum member outside the USA has actually bought a ThinkPad with a Gobi card, and is using it, and can answer.  I looked at the Swisscom website, and I did not see any laptop data offerings at all.
  • You might find more information by shopping for a new ThinkPad on the Lenovo website, as if you were in the country in question.  See if it has a WWAN option, and what carrier(s) are supported.
  • You can also ignore the internal Gobi card, and instead, either get a USB WWAN data adapter ("dongle") from a carrier in the country you need, or you can tether your 3G cellphone to the laptop (either legally, using the carrier's plan, or otherwise, using 3rd party tethering software for smartphones).
--Steve
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 12,839
Message 8 of 15

You can also use Windows to manage WAN data cards connections, no other software required.

Here for example, is the Windows 7 setup for a WAN card with an AT&T SIM.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
pergranath
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,655
Message 9 of 15

warder
Token Ring
Views: 12,562
Message 10 of 15

This is how I connect.  I just installed the Lenovo Gobi 2000 drivers which installs the card as a network card.  When the SIM is enabled on the network, you can connect.

Worked great!

You can 'pay as you go' with ATT - which if you only occasionally do a trip is a cheap way to get internet rather than paying $60/month as I used to:

http://www.att.com/buyasession

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors