Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
flyforward
Paper Tape
Views: 266
Message 1 of 6

HELP: T460s wont start with black screen with power on button light on.

After reading several threads in this forum, I decided to upgrade the RAM from 4GB to 16GB. I followed the sequence to disable the internal battery first, then remove and put back in the new RAM. However, when I power it up, the keyboard light was on and then off, but the screen still black with power button light on. 

I have tried the suggestion here but did not work. (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T460s-not-booting/td-p/4... and https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T460s-Lenovo-turns-on-but-has-a-black-bl...)

where I disconnect the two battery and the internal CMOS battery and then press the power button 3 times and last time holds longer. But it did not help. 

Could someone give me some suggestions? 

Thank you in advance. 

schmidtj
802.11n
Views: 235
Message 2 of 6

Re: HELP: T460s wont start with black screen with power on button light on.

Be patient. That first reboot after adding memory can take a while. 

Lenovo Employee Vmax100K
Lenovo Employee
Views: 187
Message 3 of 6

I think you need confirm with LENOVO frist ,is it able to support max 16G RAM ?
flyforward
Paper Tape
Views: 157
Message 4 of 6

I check the T460s service manual, It listed 16GB option. On my laptop, it has a 4GB solder on the motherboard with another in the 4GB DIMM slot. After I put back my original 4GB in, the laptop returned back to normal. I do not know if the RAM is bad or there is something I need to set up. 

The RAM I used is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019FRBHZ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 143
Message 5 of 6

16GB DIMM is fine, but with some brands of RAM, compatibility can be an issue.  As stated above, the first boot after changing RAM can take a long time, up to two full minutes.  RAM with a Lenovo FRU is always the safest choices, but people have their favorite brands of non-Lenovo RAM.  I have had good luck with Corsair Vengeance, but others have different opinions.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
flyforward
Paper Tape
Views: 133
Message 6 of 6

Thanks Rick. I have waited for almost 5 minutes but the system just did not boot up. Maybe I should wait even longer? The RAM was purchased from Micron. I might consider the brand you mentioned. Thanks. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors